• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

County Court Claim for Historic MBNA Debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County Court Claim for Historic MBNA Debt

Hi All

In 1997 I took out an MBNA Credit Card, and ran up a £3,500 balance, which then defaulted in 2000, and was sold to Wescot Credit Services for collection.
    I set up a Standing Order with Wescot and was paying £30 a month (reducing to £20 a few years after) since 2000. The debt no longer appears in my credit file. I'm not sure when it dropped off, but it was over 6 years ago.

In November 2014 I enquired with Wescot about the settlement figure, and was informed it was £800. Since then I defaulted on the payments (Since 28th January 2015). I was struggling financially at the time. Wescot pursued me for the debt and for a while I ignored their correspondence, but then decided to send a CCA request through Wescot to see if they had enforceable paperwork. After a delay of around two months, they wrote back to me to say they didn't have any paperwork and suggested I contacted MBNA directly to see if they had any. They didn't.

Since then, the debt has been passed through several agencies, and today I received a letter from drydensfairfax advising me that they had been sold the debt, and that a Claim Form had been sent by Northampton County Court for £950 (including court fees etc). I also received this today. I have been advised to pay the debt in full to avoid a CCJ being registered against me.

I guess at this point I'm a little unsure of how to proceed. I have registered online, completed the AOS declaration, and confirmed that I intend to fully defend the claim, which I believe now gives me 28 days to get my defence together.

I'm not financially stable enough to settle the balance and have a few questions / thoughts:

1) If Wescot were unable to provide the necessary paperwork as proof in 2015, is the debt even enforceable now?
    2) Should I register a CCA / SAR request through drydensfairfax, even though they've already initiated a court claim form?
    3) This debt dropped from my credit file years ago, so does this mean nothing (CCJ) can be registered on my file if there's nothing to register it against?
    4) I'm now worried about how I construct my defence based on this. My key response is that drydens do not have any paperwork to back up the fact that I owe anything to anybody.
    5) Is the debt effectively statute barred?

Any advice you can give on how I should proceed now that I've acknowledged the claim online would be greatly appreciated.

Tags: None

**Gentle Bump** Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by dizco View Post
      Hi All

In 1997 I took out an MBNA Credit Card, and ran up a £3,500 balance, which then defaulted in 2000, and was sold to Wescot Credit Services for collection. That is a REALLY old account :o
      I set up a Standing Order with Wescot and was paying £30 a month (reducing to £20 a few years after) since 2000. The debt no longer appears in my credit file. I'm not sure when it dropped off, but it was over 6 years ago. Seems like a long period to repay £3500, was interest still being added? Did you receive a default notice under s.87 CCA?

In November 2014 I enquired with Wescot about the settlement figure, and was informed it was £800. Since then I defaulted on the payments (Since 28th January 2015). I was struggling financially at the time. Wescot pursued me for the debt and for a while I ignored their correspondence, but then decided to send a CCA request through Wescot to see if they had enforceable paperwork. After a delay of around two months, they wrote back to me to say they didn't have any paperwork and suggested I contacted MBNA directly to see if they had any. They didn't. Good

Since then, the debt has been passed through several agencies, and today I received a letter from drydensfairfax advising me that they had been sold the debt, and that a Claim Form had been sent by Northampton County Court for £950 (including court fees etc). I also received this today. I have been advised to pay the debt in full to avoid a CCJ being registered against me. Yes that's the 'safe' CAB type advice, but you can defend on the basis of the CCA compliance.

I guess at this point I'm a little unsure of how to proceed. I have registered online, completed the AOS declaration, and confirmed that I intend to fully defend the claim, which I believe now gives me 28 days to get my defence together.
      I'm not financially stable enough to settle the balance and have a few questions / thoughts:

1) If Wescot were unable to provide the necessary paperwork as proof in 2015, is the debt even enforceable now?
      2) Should I register a CCA / SAR request through drydensfairfax, even though they've already initiated a court claim form? Yes, follow our guide and immediately send of CPR and CCA requests.
      3) This debt dropped from my credit file years ago, so does this mean nothing (CCJ) can be registered on my file if there's nothing to register it against? This is irrelevant, the account still exists but it has fallen off your file, this is normal.
      4) I'm now worried about how I construct my defence based on this. My key response is that drydens do not have any paperwork to back up the fact that I owe anything to anybody.
      5) Is the debt effectively statute barred? No the debt (because you made payment within last 6years) is not but is very likely unenforceable under CCA s.78

Any advice you can give on how I should proceed now that I've acknowledged the claim online would be greatly appreciated.
      Read our guides carefully and other threads and keep us posted. Bump if posts not answered. X

Remarks in red
      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Many thanks Celestine. Both the CPR and CCA requests were sent today special delivery. Guaranteed tomorrow. Is there anything else I need to do in the meantime, or do I now sit tight and wait?

Comment

Sorry - Just one additional question. I sent both the CCA and the CPR to Drydens (the address for documents listed on the claim form). Is it worth sending the CPR directly to the claimant also?

Comment

I've received a letter from Drydens yesterday which states the following:

"We refer to the above matter and your recent contact with our office.

Please be aware that a County Court Claim Form has been issued against you. As such we suggest you complete and return the Claim Form, including any offer of repayment you wish to make.

Your account will be placed on hold for 14 days from the date of this letter (5th January) to enable you sufficient to return the Claim Form.

Should you fail to respond to the Claim Form, Judgment will be entered in default against you."

I have until the 15th to submit my defence.

Any help you can offer as to what course of action might be best would be much appreciated.

Comment

*Gentle Bump*

Comment

So have you received the court form yet?

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
                  So have you received the court form yet?
                  Hello, yes I've received it. I've acknowledged it online stating that I intend to fully defend, and have until Friday to submit my defence.

I'd requested all of the documents referred to in the claim form from Drydens. They have responded with

"We refer to the above matter and your recent contact with our office.

Please be aware that a County Court Claim Form has been issued against you. As such we suggest you complete and return the Claim Form, including any offer of repayment you wish to make.

Your account will be placed on hold for 14 days from the date of this letter (5th January) to enable you sufficient to return the Claim Form.

Should you fail to respond to the Claim Form, Judgment will be entered in default against you."

So they are encouraging me to submit before I receive anything from them. I'm unsure of how to proceed in the meantime.

Comment

ignore their 14 days on hold court rules not them get the defence in if due and follow court directions

Comment

Can you also please just check that the MCOL system is showing that you acknowledged the claim and ticked defend in full....just for peace of mind.

Check out our defence guide in the R/H sidebar and make a start on getting it completed.
                      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Hi Celestine, yes I've just checked. Service acknowledged and I stated I intend to defend in full. Just looking at the defence form. Do I have to deny any knowledge of the debt, or am I just stating that it's now unenforceable under CCA s.78?

Comment

Neither admit it deny

Comment

Or deny should read

Comment

Quick update. Oddly I've had my postal order and CCA letter back from Drydens today with a note saying "no longer required".

Any ideas why they might have done this? I am submitting my defence tonight.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X