• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Finding a surprise CCJ during a credit check

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a surprise CCJ during a credit check

Hey lovely people of LegalBeagles,

so I'm in the process of trying to do a remortgage after owning a flat for almost two years and after a credit check I found an CCJ on my file.

This seems to have happened a year ago and looks like it's related to an EDF account from a house share nearly 6 years ago and is for around £140 now up to £200 odd with fees and such.

I've dug through the emails and found correspondence with EDF for sorting out an incorrect bill and about closing my account, it stated that I owed £1,193.25.*

I then found an email chain with my housemates that I mentioned that the final bill came and it was £1,027.01 (I don't think I have the bill but will look once I'm back home from Christmas). I also have a transaction in my bank account with a payment of the same amount.

So as far as I'm concerned everything was above board, in between then and now I received emails and letters from Lowell (nothing from EDF) saying I owe them money, and following "internet advice" I ignored them as I knew I had some proof if they ever took it to court, I then moved out and annoyingly early this year they raised a CCJ against me, which was sent to my old place and I wasn't able to defend myself and so now have a big black mark against me.

Obviously the money they're after is pretty small and won't be much of an issue to pay. I'm more concerned with the CCJ on my name especially as I'm looking to remortgage. What should I do? Can I fight this? Does anyone have any advice?*

Thanks so much for any time. There seems to be conflicting advice everywhere on the internet.
    Tags: None

You need to apply to have the CCJ set aside on the grounds you did not receive the paperwork. You will need to prove you didn't receive it as well so you will need proof of moving out and moving in new address. Utility bills. removal bills, council tax, tenancy agreements etc.
    You can do this by completing a N244 form and there is a fee of 255 quid to pay.
    If you do get it aside the debt does not disappear though, they can issue a new claim to your correct address and start again so you need to resolve it.

Comment

Set Aside Application

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X