• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ccj against wrong company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ccj against wrong company

I will keep this short.

Today I received a call from a company asking if I needed finance to pay off a CCJ for my company, I laughed and hung up as we have no debts or anything owing. He calls back, gives me my company name and a case number, which I check and find there is CCJ on our file!

I immediately figure the issue, another company with a similar name is liquidating, but they have used our name in their google listing:

Example we are: COMPANY LTD
    They are: COMPANY EASY LTD

They have used on their listing COMPANY LTD (our name).

So it seems that the CCJ has ben lodged against our company, using their address which is why we had no idea it existed.

I thought it would be an easy fix so called the courts and the registry trust. As I could not pass security due to the address the claimant has listed being different to mine they would not help me (crazy).

So I am left in a situation where this rather large company which has folded has our name listed and I am likely to receive a tonne of CCJS which I will not be notified of or have access to the claimant to inform them it's against the incorrect company.

I cannot believe this can happen and that the company number does not need to be confirmed and the address match.

WHere do I go from there?
    Tags: None

Set Aside Application

Comment

What if more come through, will I keep having to pay to sort? As its likely I will keep getting more and more. Also will I have to stand in court?

Comment

The sensible thing to do is to write to the claimant company and explain the situation. The contents of the letter should ideally cover:

1. That you have recently become aware of a county court judgment in their favour against your company.

2. You believe the claim against your company was made in error and explain your reasons e.g. you've never had any dealings with them and that you believe the correct defendant company name is X registered under company number Y.

3. The CCJ is damaging to your company's credit rating and the ability to obtain credit on favourable terms. The CCJ is also damaging to your reputation and could mean that customers are reluctant to do business with someone who has a judgment against them.

4. Tell them how you would like to resolve the matter. For example, you might want to say that they should agree a consent order to set aside the default judgment and to pay the costs of making the application you make to the court.

5. If they do not believe that an error has been made then ask them to provide you with relevant evidence that shows you are liable for the debt.

6. If they don't reply within 14 days from the date of the letter then you will have no choice but to make an application to set aside the default judgment and seek an order of costs incurred as a result of their error.

What do you mean by 'stand'. You'll probably sit when speaking to the judge and a set aside hearing in this scenario shouldn't last more than 15 minutes. Sounds like a clear error but if the claimant company chooses to ignore you or deny their error then yes you will have no choice but make an application to the court. Setting aside a judgment needs to be made promptly so you can't sit on your seat, scratch your backside and then deal with it when you choose to, otherwise the court will simply tell you where to go.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Rob

Thanks for your post.

Officially I have no been informed of the CCJ as the address listed is the other companies.

I only found out today as a company called offering finance to pay off the CCJ.

The issue is, I cannot gain the claimants details as when I call I fail security as the address used is not my own, only the company name. So no letters have been recieved and I cannot access the case as I have no security pin! It's all ridiculous and it seems there is nowhere to turn to rectify the error or even find out who the claimant might be.

There is also a good chance this will get worse and more will lodge a ccj against my company but not company address!

Comment

Well I can only suggest that you give the court a call and ask to speak to a manager as you wish to make a formal complaint on the basis that someone has registered a CCJ against your name and you don't know the name of the claimant to send a letter and issue the application to set aside. It's one big circle.

Sounds like you are speaking to the money claims call centre and they're a bit useless to be honest but you need to be firm with them - sometimes they really don't have any common sense.
            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

It's crazy that the courts have not checked the company address (well they have but a Google listing which isn't correct)

​​​​​Do you by chance have a number to call as I went around in circles for almost 4 hours today!

Thanks

Comment

Hi did you get this matter sorted as Im in the exact same position and n o idea where to now turn. *Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X