• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Default judgement obtained by Lowell - ignored CPR 31.14 request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default judgement obtained by Lowell - ignored CPR 31.14 request

Hi all.

Not sure if I stand a chance but really need some assistance before I make a set-aside application. I probably should have come here first when it was all going on but I had a very ill daughter to care for at the time.

Lowell issued a claim allegedly for an old Capital One account in July this year. I did AOS by post and also requested inspection of docs under CPR 31.14. I didn't hear anything from them and wrote to them again reminding them of the request. They finally responded in August after they had obtained judgement in default as I hadn't submitted a defence. They stated that they hadn't received my requests (WTF) but as guesture of goodwill would seek the information from their client.

At the time my daughter was very ill in hospital and I was spending 10 hour days caring for her whilst she was there and then just as long when she was finally allowed home.

To date they have sent a copy of a credit agreement from Capital One and some statements but they have not sent my the Notice of Assignment or Default Notice that I requested.

Should I apply for a set-aside based on the fact that they didn't comply with my request?

My head hurts and it's been a stressful time. Daughter is finally on the mend and my credit history is almost clear, so getting this blot has been demoralising.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice.
    Tags: None

So it turns out that I should have submitted an "Embarrassed Defence" despite Lowell not complying with my request. FML

I've only got £255 to lose but am going to give the set aside a shot.

I'll post up what my arguments will be. Not got a clue if it's worth doing but if I CAN get it set aside, that would be most helpful. If not I'll be stuck with this until I'm nearly 50.

I've had set-asides successfully granted before but that was many years ago. I have never had to attempt one, whilst a CPR 31.14 request was in default. That's why I posted on here for some help and advice as so much has changed!

Fingers crossed...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X