• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is there anything I can do? Won small claims court - defendant refuses to pay up.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anything I can do? Won small claims court - defendant refuses to pay up.

Hiya,

I’m based in England.

I won a default judgement via MCOL. The defendant, my former landlord, has said they will simply ignore the judgement and won’t pay. They are retired and own their home which is worth around £2 million. They have plenty of money so they don’t care about having a CCJ on their record for accessing credit etc.

They said the bailiffs have no power to enter their home so I’ll just be wasting my money if I got a warrant. They owe me £800 which is a lot for me but they’ve said I won’t be getting a penny from them.

Do I have any options here?

Thank you!
    Tags: None

Charging order on the property? Especially if your judgement debtor is the sole owner.

Here is the gov.uk page on methods of enforcing judgements: https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-...rce-a-judgment
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you for the reply Atticus. Is that something I can do via MCOL? I only have the option to apply for a warrant to get the bailiffs involved. The defendant has said she won’t let them in her home so I would be wasting my money. Would a third party debt order be quicker? Thank you again!

Comment

If you instruct high court bailiffs the could seize vehicles belonging to the debtor get some advice on this action

Comment

Look at the links in the gov.uk page!
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I would escalate to the high court - easy process which only used to cost about £70. I did that and also (by doing it myself) got a charging order on the house of my debtor. He had little to give but I got a monthly payment of £100 out of him and then the full debt was paid off when he wanted to sell his house.

Comment

As a lot of people said here take it to the high court and send in HCEO

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X