• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Quotes and Insurance Nominated Contractors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quotes and Insurance Nominated Contractors

Good morning.

Can an insurance company force you to use their contractor of choice, if the insurance company is happy with the quote from their contractor of choice?

If you are not happy with the insurance companies contractor of choice due to really bad reviews, can you nominate a contractor of your own choice and if it is any more expensive, then you have to make up the difference?

Can the insurance company force you to allow a contractor to carry out work on your property without your consent as you have read very bad reviews about their contractor of choice?

Is it within a legal remit to have the insurance company pass the monies which were allocated to their contractor of choice be paid to you so you can then choose who you would like to carry out the work on your property?
    Tags: None

You need to read the policy. Many insurers insist on using nominated suppliers with whom they have negotiated agreed rates. So:

Q1 - probably yes

Q2 - discuss with the insurer. Isn't this really the same as Q4?

Q3 - See the policy terms. Discuss with the insurer.

Q4. See Q2.

Remember that you get what you pay for. There is a reason why some policies are cheap.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

re Q3. An insurer cannot literally force you to allow their contractor to work on your house without your consent - the contractor has no legal power of forced access - but if you refuse to allow their contractor to do the work they may not pay your claim, or at least not in full. As advised, discuss your concerns with the insurer.
      All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Cheers guys.

It's a little more complicated than I first outlined, I I just posted a broad argument for my case.

More in depth.

A utility company has caused some pretty severe damage to my property, they have accepted responsibility by way of asking me to obtain two quotes to cover the full cost of the work. This I have done, I managed to get two quotes by independent contractors, I sent then off to the utility company.

They stated that their, the utility companies insurance company requested the two quotes from me; why would a utilities company insurance company request quotes from the customer of the utility company. Surely they would send round an assessor to cost up the work? It does not make sense at all. Are they telling lies?

They the utility company have now instructed a large organisation to construct a report on the work required to be carried out as these two quotes are not pocket change.

This large organisation does a lot of insurance work for insurance companies; some pretty awful reviews, the two quotes I got are from two very well reviewed one man bands who can be trusted to carry out the work in a well mannered fashion.

I'm unsure whether this large organisation is acting on behalf of the utility company's insurance company or just the utility company. Its all very messy.

If this company, the large organisation they instructed comes in with a lower quote than my two quotes can they force this large organisation on me to carry out the work on my property?

Or do I have the legal rights to challenge and choose who I wish to carry out the work on my property. By way of accepting the large organisation price/quote in payment prior to instructing one of my chosen contractors and making up the difference out of my own pocket to pay one of my quoted contractors?

It all does not make sense, as we are now in month four since I first raised my concerns and put forward my formal complaint.

Comment

OK, so not your insurer. You can of course do the works and then claim from the utility company.

Have you claimed on your own insurance?
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

There is no house insurance on the property.

They have accepted responsibility. The question relates to contractor options and forced contractors or choice after a cost of repair has been agreed.
            What's the legal recourse?

Comment

Your legal recourse is to pursue a claim against the contractor. How his insurer deals with his claim on his policy is a matter for him. As we now know, this is not your insurer.

Comment

It's the utility company that caused damage and the contractor who puts it right.
                Does the customer have the right to choose the contractor or can the utility company or the utility companies insurance company force the customer to use their choice of contractor.

If the customer’s choice is more costly then the customer makes the cost increase.

I am Not looking to make any claims against any contractor

Comment

Substitute utility company for contractor in my last post.

Comment

I get the impression the word insurer is a distraction as why would they ask the customer to seek and provide two quotes.

Insurance companies don't usually ask for quotes.

Comment

If you're not feeling the insurance company's contractor, you can usually pick your own. Just be ready to cover the extra cost if they're pricier. And seriously, don't let them send someone over without your say-so, especially if you've heard horror stories about their work.

Comment

Joe. Thanks. My take.

They appointed a contractor he wears stirrups lm thinking this will be a huge hiccup.

Ask the utility company how much they are costing.

The utility company trump up the cost of the cowboy company and the contractor I want I pay the difference out of my own pocket.

The job gets done right the utility company are no worse off I am worse off but at least the job is done right.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X