• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Equalities Act 2010 and Club Company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equalities Act 2010 and Club Company

atticus

Will try to make this as concise as possible

Friend was a member of a members club for 25yrs (afiliated to RAOB), was a respected financial supporter (tens of thousands of pounds), during Covid epidemic, membership process was suspended.

Feb 2023 membership was submitted for renewal, this was refused, (note: in its history no member of RAOB has been refused membership, unless subjected to disciplinary action).

He believes it is because of his recent civil marriage. The club will not give any reason for the refusal.

The club was originally unincorporated but 2004 became an Incorporated club (Ltd).

To add insult to injury, in recognition of his support over the years, 2018 he was made an honorary member, however a new director who has recently taken over management is denying he has this position

and will not provide the general meeting minutes that prove the fact. He is stating that they no longer have them.

I am of the thought. that a Club Company (incorporated),each member of the club is required to be issued at least one share, This is how the club was managed for the first 8 years,

however when the originating director died, the directors decided to allocate all the shares listed as "500 shares for members" amongst themselves (5 in number).. does this now make it a Proprietary

Company.

All data requests and letter before claim have been ignored.

They will proceed with claim under Equalities Act 2010

any guidance appreciated

@ atticus
    Tags: None

Thank you. Not my field. Others may know. NB this is an open forum: Ask a question and someone who is able to may reply.

Have you seen the club rules/constitution? Has anyone spoken to the RAOB (whatever that is)?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I tagged you because you seemed to be the person with a general Law knowledge, RAOB is some kind of lodge that does things for charities. it has been around since 1800's and it is really complicated to understand the whole setup. However this club seems to let RAOB use a meeting room, the rest is social club. We have requested a copy of the rules/constitution but they have refused,

Comment

RAOB = Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes

Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes - Wikipedia

The Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes: The powerful secret society with a more pressing financial problem | The Independent | The Independent
        Last edited by PallasAthena; 9th July 2023, 16:11:PM.
        All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

"Royal" not conferred, only allowed by patents office because they used it for so long.

Antediluvian=In the bible, the era before the great flood (Noah's Ark}, so do not know what relationship this has, as the RAOB was only started in 1821, long after the flood.

Comment

Other members here have general and specific legal knowledge and experience.

I thought it might be the Royal and Ancient Order of Bounders.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post

I thought it might be the Royal and Ancient Order of Bounders.
              LoL.

All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Atticus, you would not be far wrong in your assumption

Comment

Originally posted by tesla6518 View Post
                  atticus

Will try to make this as concise as possible

Friend was a member of a members club for 25yrs (afiliated to RAOB), was a respected financial supporter (tens of thousands of pounds), during Covid epidemic, membership process was suspended.

Feb 2023 membership was submitted for renewal, this was refused, (note: in its history no member of RAOB has been refused membership, unless subjected to disciplinary action).

He believes it is because of his recent civil marriage. The club will not give any reason for the refusal.

The club was originally unincorporated but 2004 became an Incorporated club (Ltd).

To add insult to injury, in recognition of his support over the years, 2018 he was made an honorary member, however a new director who has recently taken over management is denying he has this position

and will not provide the general meeting minutes that prove the fact. He is stating that they no longer have them.

I am of the thought. that a Club Company (incorporated),each member of the club is required to be issued at least one share, This is how the club was managed for the first 8 years,

however when the originating director died, the directors decided to allocate all the shares listed as "500 shares for members" amongst themselves (5 in number).. does this now make it a Proprietary

Company.

All data requests and letter before claim have been ignored.

They will proceed with claim under Equalities Act 2010

any guidance appreciated

@ atticus
                  Has he addressed the concerns with the club yet? My advice would be to collect as much information as possible that seeks to contradict what they may then put in writing to undermine their response - record chats with people close to the club. Once you've then done that then put concerns to them in a letter before action. They will have to respond to that. You can also send an email to the club seeking to get membership as someone else who is gay and see what happens.

The equality act (2010) is a pretty powerful tool that protects people in these circumstances and once you know their attitude you can be pretty sure why they have taken the route with your friend. Remember you only need to show on the balance of probability in civil cases.

Comment

Thank K147

For the past 3 mths they have requested information SAR etc only to have them all disregarded and no reply whtsoever.

We sent a Letter before Claim which they have also ignored so proceeding to legal action

Comment

If your friend is taking legal action and in the process of doing that, I am not sure what purpose this serves. Anyway, there's are few things that threw me off a bit form your initial post.

1. You refer to the club being an 'incorporated club' but I assume you mean the club has now transitioned to being set up as a limited company by shares (you mentioned shares and directors in your post).

2. Strangely, you wander from referring to the club as what I understand is a limited company, to a proprietary company but there is no such thing as a proprietary company. Proprietary companies is a term used in Australia and denoted with "pty" in the company name.

3. It is a legal requirement for companies to keep board minutes for at least 10 years from the date of the meeting. Failure to do so means each of the directors (or a specific director if found to be solely responsible) could be punished for non-compliance as it's a criminal offence. I'm not actually sure which body has authority to prosecute criminal offences under the Companies Act 2006 but I presume it will be the registrar of companies.
                      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X