• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Notice of discontinuance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notice of discontinuance

Hi,

A neighbour made a financial claim against a family member for damage to boundary fence after communication severely broke down. They were unable to come to an agreement in mediation so it progressed to small track claims court. However, thanks to another neighbour a resolution has been agreed and put in writing. If the neighbour completes the N279 form to discontinue will that be the immediate end of it all or will the neighbour be liable for my parents legal fees, expert fees etc? Presumably if this was the case why would the neighbour be willing to discontinue the claim? Surely they chance their luck and continue with a court hearing. Hope that makes sense.
    Tags: None

I would discontinue having obtained a strict assurance that if I do so costs will not be sought from me.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
        I would discontinue having obtained a strict assurance that if I do so costs will not be sought from me.
        Given its a small claim its more tricky to get the Court to award solicitors costs. You could apply to the Court for a costs order, but as Atticus says normally you would simply seek an undertaking that if you discontinue its on the basis of no order as to costs.
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Why not just incorporate the full agreement within the court order?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X