• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice on taking virgin media to court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on taking virgin media to court

Hi all, so this is going to be long winded but here goes…

Virgin installed our broadband on 07/04/22 and hit out radiator pipe and flooded our front room.

The aftercare provided by them was nothing short of appalling. We got to the point where the stress of them not taking responsibility for the floor damage became too much so we offered them a cash resolution to which they declined at first. However they came back with a counter offer of xxx on 22nd of September 2022 which we reluctantly accepted as we desperately needed the money to get the floor repaired. They knew this money was for the repair and agreed to send a cheque out, however, they applied the money as credit to our account even though I stressed multiple times we didn’t want it as credit. As you can probably see where this is going, the cheque was never sent and we have been in contact with them over 10 times now about releasing the money. We have evidence of this and logged it all. I rang on the 23/01/23 and Spoke to Jenny - s7705690 and she gauranteed me the cheque would be be with us by 01/02/2023. I made a point of saying are you sure you want to gaurentee this as this is the last time we are making contact with them before we go legal.

Telephone - 22/09/22 - agreed compensation

What’s app - 19/10/22 - they will send a cheque out for xxx, they were not able to send xxx to us as xxx of that was credited to us to cover 3months billing as a good will gesture. We was told we would receive a cheque within 45 days.

What’s app - 28/11/22 - gave us 2 options, to either send a cheque or transfer to bank account, we chose transfer to bank account. They gave us a reference ID - xxxxxxxx

What’s app- 07/12/2022 - they incorrectly raised a cheque request instead of the agreed bank transfer. Was told the cheque would be delivered within the next 15 working days.

What’s app - 05/01/22 - was told cheque has been requested however, the financial team stated it needed to be approved by a higher manager. Was told it had been approved whilst connected and we would received cheque by 15/01/23

What’s app - 16/01/23 - was told they would prioritise the request and also put in a new request for a cheque and we would receive this within 3 working days.

What’s app- 10/02/2023 - appologised and offered to send the money to our bank account directly and was given a reference ID - xxxxxxxx

Telephone call - 23/01/2023- spoke to Jenny the manager ID number ( s7705690) and she gaurenteed me multiple times the cheque would be received by the 01/02/2023

What’s app - 22/02/23- they have taken complete responsibility and ownership and have requested for a refund to our bank account. The words she used was definitely this time your amount will be refunded within 3 working days.

So over a year ago this happened and still hasn’t been resolved. We made a complaint to the ombudsman but the case was closed immediately as they ‘don’t deal with damage to property’. I messaged back and stressed it wasn’t In regards to damage to the property it was about the compensation not received.

I am now after advice on weather or not people have took these to court and won. I’m 99% sure I have a very very strong case and I am more than happy to take this all the way just for the pure satisfaction of winning. Look forward to hearing your views.

Thanks James
    Tags: None

Next step would be to send a letter before action, and the issuing a court claim. If you have evidence of liability admitted by Virgin Media and they agreed to pay you by bank transfer then I can't see why you would lose a claim. If they decided to compensate you by alternative means without you agreeing to that method then I'm not sure they have any defence at all.

You should probably assume they will defend your claim as that's pretty standard even if a company is in the wrong but its a bonus if liability is admitted. I would expect them to swiftly refund you if it went that far, based on what you have described but its possible it may go all the way.

I'd consider asking for compounded interest on the basis that they have messed you about and made numerous broken promises but you might be happy to settle on the amount you agreed to be compensated.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for this rob. I have given them a 14 day deadline once again to send me the agreed compensation amount, after that I am going to left with no other alternative than to go to court. The issue is that they won’t accept liability on there behalf as they got a contractor in to fix the damage. It’s all a bit messy however when they gave multiple promises about sending the money I believe I am more than entitled to compounded i lnterest.

Comment

Well I assume your contractual relationship is with VM so it is neither here nor there whether the contractor caused the damage, if VM used a contractor for the work to be done then they are responsible for that contractor. I've heard of this before where VM refuse to accept responsibility for their contractors and try to pass the buck to the Customer to chase.

Don't think a court would see it that way to be honest. Just make sure that you are suing the correct VM entity, many people trip up assuming they can sue any VM company so check your paperwork and if in doubt, verify the company number on companies house.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks ever such a lot for your advice rob, means a lot to me!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X