• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Money claim, Small Claims.....can the defendant counterclaim for harassment?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money claim, Small Claims.....can the defendant counterclaim for harassment?

Although a residential (AST) matter, a money claim* has been made by a contractor, not the landlord. (Ie claimant is a private parking company).
    It would appear that the parking company are claiming in their own right; they are not an agent of the landlord in the principal/agent respect.
    I believe there is sufficent evidence to prove that the parking company does not have the locus standi to initiate a claim (they do not have the appropriate landowner authority required by legislation).
    CPR 26.7 states that harassment claims against the landlord are not suitable for SCT.
    But is it ok to include, amongst other things, a harassment counterclaim against the contractor in SCT?
    There is no problem evidencing a course of conduct.
    Thanks

*Breach of contract.
    Last edited by charitynjw; 13th February 2023, 06:04:AM.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick
    Tags: None

Yes. This may mean that the claim is not allocated to the Small Claims Track.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      Yes. This may mean that the claim is not allocated to the Small Claims Track.
      Thanks, Atticus.

CPR 26 is a bit vague re SCT & persons who harass that are not landlords.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

On the contrary I think the CPR is pretty clear that if you have a claim against a landlord for harassment or unlawful eviction, the claim will not be allocated to the SCT.

If the parking co. is not the landlord by ordinary meaning and understanding, I can't see how CPR 26.7 applies. The parking co. I assume is managing the car park not renting out spaces or anything like that so I can't see how they are the landlord especially if the landlord is not a named party to the claim.

If you start making references to landlord and tenant in any defence/counterclaim then I would agree that it's possible the court might throw it onto another track so you may have to be careful how you word it.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
          On the contrary I think the CPR is pretty clear that if you have a claim against a landlord for harassment or unlawful eviction, the claim will not be allocated to the SCT.

Agreed.

If the parking co. is not the landlord by ordinary meaning and understanding, I can't see how CPR 26.7 applies. The parking co. I assume is managing the car park not renting out spaces or anything like that so I can't see how they are the landlord especially if the landlord is not a named party to the claim.

Agreed

If you start making references to landlord and tenant in any defence/counterclaim then I would agree that it's possible the court might throw it onto another track so you may have to be careful how you word it.

Maybe. Didn't Ferguson start in Bromley SCT? (I think)
          Hi R0b

CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hi Charity, do you mean Ferguson v British Gas?
            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Charity, do you mean Ferguson v British Gas?
              That one, yes.
              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

I believe so yes but if I recall that had nothing to do with tenant/landlord disputes just a customer/supplier dispute.

As long as you make it clear the parking co. is harassing the defendant and meets the harassment criteria, I don't see an issue for this being allocated to the SCT. I've had harassment claims allocated to that track so it is possible but ultimately the court decides and if allocated elsewhere, then the defendant will need to decide whether to make an application for re-allocation or proceed on the assigned track.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

I believe so yes but if I recall that had nothing to do with tenant/landlord disputes just a customer/supplier dispute.
                  It wouldn't be a claim against the landlord.
                  The parking co. is a contractor, so not subject to agency law either.That is made clear in the landowner (landlord) agreement with the parking co.
                  The parking charge, if paid, goes straight into the parking co's pocket.
                  This was sorted in the Supreme Court ParkingEye v Beavis precedent case.
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X