• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

County court threat from landlord

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County court threat from landlord

I have held a company let agreement (I am the director of the company) with a landlord whom the company have rented a number of properties through over the years. I gave notice on one property after renting it for almost 7 years. He has been reluctant to do any refurbishments to the property. The bathroom floor and walls were beyond repair/use and despite me requesting this to be addressed, he refused saying damage to the original 70s parquet floor was caused by a bad aim using the toilet. Our occupiers are vulnerable people who need support to them live independently and so we visit at least twice weekly. The landlord has been so rude over the years to my staff. This is why I served notice on him.
    the deposit wasn’t put into a custodial scheme which I know isn’t required for a company let.
    We have decorated the flat twice in the tenancy and had a professional clean at the end. Our occupier damaged the front door as he got locked in the flat and cracked a panels trying to get out. We agreed for a replacement door from the deposit and to pay for removal of a sofa which was left in the flat.
    there was no independent inventory or photos taken at the start just a list. (The flat wasn’t new condition when we took it on)
    landlord has now sent me a hand typed invoice with scribble from the builder of what they want me to pay and I am refusing as I feel he is being unreasonable. However I don’t want a court order against my company. I have rented a lot of properties in the last 20 years and never had a landlord like him
    thank you
    Tags: None

What advice do you seek? Your company can defend a claim. Or it can settle it.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hi
      i haven’t yet. He has given me until Dec to pay his demands which include a clean (we paid for a professional clean) new toilet which had a tiny bit to staining) he was replacing bathroom, full re dec, he did none in 7 years and a damp treatment which was historical mildew in the hallway, he says caused by us as when he visited in last week of tenancy we had put towels down to defrost the freezer. None of my staff wanted to work with him. Such a rude and demanding man. I rent over 40 properties for my clients and have had 5 flats with him over the years. I have given notice on the last one with him and I know he will keep the deposit
      Thank you

Comment

I would think that, for any court claim to succeed, the LL would have to provide proof of condition on entry. You could refuse to pay anything above the deposit, call his bluff and see if he puts in a court claim. He would need evidence and a better estimate at least! This is not legal advice just my thoughts...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X