• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is communication between opposing solicitors privileged?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is communication between opposing solicitors privileged?

Hi

Just wondering, if there are three parties in a case, Plaintiff, Defendant A and Defendant B, Can Defendant B ask for disclosure of communication between the solicitor for the plaintiff and the solicitor for Defendant A or is it privileged in anyway? The concern I have is that the plaintiff and defendant A are manipulating the matter to control the case to their advantage.

Thanks for any advice.
    Tags: None

I am not aware of any ground of privilege that can be claimed for that correspondence. Has privilege been claimed?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

No, as I believe the plaintiff and First Named Defendant which to settle as as it is convenient for them but I don't as I have different motivations.

Comment

"without prejudice" communications may be privileged.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

yea I get your point but I am not looking for evidence of admission but evidence that the plaintiff is making a disingenuous application to the court to discontinue the case against me because I have no money to pay damages or costs if they win. I have a reasonable belief that the real reason is that they have agreed a settlement with the first named defendant and I am blocking this by wanting a hearing. I know it is very very unusual for a defendant to oppose a discontinuance but my goal is to either prove or get the plaintiff to admit their many many dishonest statements.

I know from the reaction of the Master that he did not expect me to oppose the discontinuance. As I cannot find any precedents I have decided to attempt to make out that if the Court allows the discontinuance, it will be breaching my rights under Article 8 ECHR, as it will prevent me from recovering from the damage done to my family life by the plaintiff's many false statements.
          Last edited by Balood31; 29th October 2022, 18:23:PM.

Comment

Have you made a counterclaim for damages? A counterclaim will survive the claimant's discontinuance of his claim.

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
              Have you made a counterclaim for damages? A counterclaim will survive the claimant's discontinuance of his claim.
              I did have one but withdrew it as it was delaying the main case. It was not a strong case anyway. I was countersuing for malicious civil prosecution but as it was a fairly new tort I was not sure my case was valid.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X