• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

uk address required for online small claims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uk address required for online small claims

I am a uk citizen but i am also an expat. I am trying to sue Qatar airways who do not dispute they owe me 2600 gbp but after a year still no money and they ignore my e mails and hang up when i phone. I believe i need a uk address for court papers, but i live in thailand. I believe I can ask a friend who lives in england to use his address for court papers ...am i correct
    Tags: None

You will be required to give an address for service within the jurisdiction. Whatever address you give, you need to know that it will be reliable in that at all times throughout the duration of the case any documents sent there by the court or other party will come to your attention very promptly.

I know of no reason why you may not use your friend's address, but do make sure that communications about the case will be brought to your attention as soon as they are received.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

A few more points before i forget
      As explained I live in thailand so if qatar contest my claim will I have to travel to england or is there a system where the hearing can be done online...
      If I do have to travel to england do I add the cost of said journey to my initial claim or are traveling expenses sorted out if/when I win the claim
      The last point is jurisdiction the flight was Dublin to Bangkok but there is no qatar office in Ireland, and my ticket was issued at the london office. Now I think the UK courts have jurisdiction. However, I have contacted the court, and said court tells me to consult a lawyer. Hence I contacted an Irish Lawyer who charged me 100 euro for telling me " It is complicated but i believe uk courts have jurisdiction, despite not being able to give you an absolute answer i will not refund your 100 euro"

Comment

Why consult a solicitor in Ireland?

Comment

Originally posted by dslippy View Post
          Why consult a solicitor in Ireland?
          The flight was Dublin to Bangkok so i thought maybe irish jurisdiction

Comment

Then why contact a UK court?
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
              Then why contact a UK court?
              Please refer to the final paragraph of my 24 oct post where i explain that myself and the Irish Lawyer I comsulted believe that this matter is within English Court Jurisdiction. However, said post also in effect asks members of Legal Beagles to give an opinion as to which country courts have jurisdiction

Comment

I may be mistaken, but wouldn't jurisdiction perhaps depend on the nature of your relationship with Qatar Airways and why you are suing them?

If , for instance, it's about flight tickets and you bought them online direct from Qatar Airways (and that part of QA is located in Qatar, for example) then wouldn't you have to sue in Qatar as the contract would be subject to Qatari law?

What do the T&Cs of your interaction with QA say about jurisdiction?

Comment

Well qatar airways london do say that qatar airways in qatar are responsible for refunds. However, it seems that Qatar airways london are being economical with the truth. In that on the phone qatar airways in qatar told me that my case had been closed and I should expect a refund to be coming from the London Office as they had been given my money. From my investigations it would seem that London did receive my money and they sent it back to Qatar.
                  Suing qatar airways in Qatar would be impossible after all I have been informed that BBC journalists were arrested for reporting on slave labour camps where staduim workers are housed... Hence if Qatar have a small claims court (which I doubt) then using said court system could put me in the same position (ie a suitcase) as the man who went into a saudi embassy for permission to marry papers
                  With reference to "you have to sue in Qatar as the contract would be subject to Qatari law? " the contract is a world wide contract because it is.advertised world wide....Qatar claiming that their head office is responsible is a ploy because they know that nobody in their right minds would consider going to qatar to try to get justice which is a rare as chicken teeth in Qatar
                  Thirty years ago I sued yellow pages who used a usa address as a legal/ refund dept, but the uk courts agreed with me that UK customers could make claims from any uk yellows pages office.
                  Also in writing I have an e mail from qatar airways bangkok office stating that qatar airways london office take respoinsibility for obtaining a refund from qatar for my ticket
                  PS I have made an application for SAR records for my case. I believe that qatar airways are oblidged to release all letters addressed to me and from me and all letters about my case sent from qatar london and bangkok.offices.....If all letters are released and studied carefully then criminal activitivies could show up in the contents of said letters.........I assume if qatar airwadys do not release sar documents then i can apply for a court order to have said documents released

Comment

Originally posted by Manxman View Post
                    I may be mistaken, but wouldn't jurisdiction perhaps depend on the nature of your relationship with Qatar Airways and why you are suing them?

If , for instance, it's about flight tickets and you bought them online direct from Qatar Airways (and that part of QA is located in Qatar, for example) then wouldn't you have to sue in Qatar as the contract would be subject to Qatari law?

What do the T&Cs of your interaction with QA say about jurisdiction?
                    Concerning your reference to Terms and Conditions it is difficult to ascertain what the T&C actually are, but I suspect Qatar airways London will deny responsibility saying the T&C imply all claims have to be addressed to qatar HO. However there is a UK law that stops qatar airwadys saying i have to go to Qatar courts ie the 1977 unfair terms of contract law

Comment

Parts of post #9 are somewhat melodramatic.

Comment

How did you pay? If by credit card, is the card company in the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
                          How did you pay? If by credit card, is the card company in the UK?
                          Now you have a very good point.....I paid by ulster bank debit card ulster bank is part of nat west bank...after i paid ulster bank declared they would stop operations in Ireland where i rent out properties...hence i closed the ulster bank and opened BOI account.
                          Initally Qatar said they would only pay my money to Ulster bank so I would have to re=open my account with the same account number and debit card number i had on the account which was closed. I contacted ulster bank and they said "it cannot be done"
                          Then qatar said they wanted an official letter from the bank saying the flight was paid with my debit card and the full number of said debit card
                          I again contacted ulster bank who told me said letter could not be supplied
                          This is where Qatar airways bangkok office got involved...They told me that it is not uncommon for emigrants to close the account in their home country before moving to Thailand and if I got an official letter (details of address and account) from my thailand bank account qatar airways could make the refund into said account....I did as requested and then everything went quiet. Then The qatar airways bangkok office told me to contact the london office who were handling my refund.
                          I contacted the london office who told me that ulster bank were lying to me and they have all the details of my ex debit card and would have to write said details in an official letter
                          I then re-contacted ulster bank who supplied an official letter giving all required details but could not supply the full number of the closed account debit card

I sent the letter from Ulster bank to qatar airways qatar london and bangkok office, and received silence. I contacted bangkok office by phone and was told the letter from ulster bank saying my debit card number is not obtainable is sufficent to authorize the refund and that he would call the london and qatar office and i would receive the refund paid into my thailand bank account in a few weeks. After 4 weeks no refund came so I started phoning and qatar offices in london and bangkok never answered in Qatar HO they answered and then said they would put me on hold and then disconnected my call.I e mailed all offices and chat line and no answers came
                          Last edited by beaufoy; 30th October 2022, 01:42:AM. Reason: attach the letter from ulster bank

Comment

it seems that my idea that uk courts can deal with the case is ok. However I still have travelling expenses method of how to make the claim to sort out ie do i add travelling expenses to the initial claim or do i wait for the result in court before i make a travel expence claim

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X