• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court claim against car trader, please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court claim against car trader, please help

So, I bought a 2019 Ford Courier van off a trader via Facebook Marketplace at the end of June, and now just over three months later the engine has failed. The garage has said the oil was thick and jelly like and the bottom end has failed. They’ve quoted me £8.5k for a new engine which is only £700 less than I paid for the van. The van had less than 40k miles on the clock.

I’ve quoted the Consumer rights act to the trader, but he is refusing to repair or replacement, has given me a bunch of excuses saying it wasn’t under warranty etc, and has now stopped replying.

I’ve sent him an ‘official complaint’, and spoken to the Motor Ombudsman but he is not accredited so they can’t help.

I think my only other option is to take him to court… I obviously think I have a strong case, does it sound like it?

* I assume I’ll need to get an engineers report on the van?
    * would I need to send a letter before action if I’ve sent a complaint and spoken to the ombudsman? They’re not going to reply I don’t think (the trader).
    * I can get a 2nd hand engine and get it fitted for around £3k, do I sue them for this amount? Even though I think I’m probably entitled to sue for the £8.5k the garage have quoted me? But by doing this with other fees on top it would end up being more than I paid for the van.
    * The trader is saying i didn’t get the van from his business now, even though I have screenshots of him telling me his business name etc. but I paid a bank transfer into his personal bank account. So do I sue him or his limited company?

it’s all so stressful and confusing. I’m without a work vehicle, and I feel sick that this has happened, and the scam trader thinks he can get away with it.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X