• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can someone translate what a consent order means in this email. Thanks in advance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone translate what a consent order means in this email. Thanks in advance

Hi all!

Ended up in a pickle being an executor of my late mothers estate. Her house had no water and in order to sell it water needed to be put on. Sourced a borehole drilling company and they have made a real bad job of it so much so I had to get another company to come in and do another one. Anyway while arguing the toss with the original company they have managed to initiate a claim against myself at another address. Paperwork is now coming to my address and I submitted a defense and counterclaim nearly 4 weeks ago. Anyway I just received the below and I feel I may have made an error. The deposit for the borewell was not paid for directly by myself but thirdparty. My counterclaim is this deposit however I dont think I am allowed to counterclaim if I didnt pay it. I want to drop the counterclaim but continue my defence against the remaining balance. They have offered to agree to consent to amend my Defence and Counterclaim but I need to know if I agree to this does that mean I give in on my defence completely? Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance

Thank you for your email, I am well thank you, I hope you are too.

Ana called me and made me aware of the documents that you have dropped off along with a USB drive, thank you for these.

Given that I had not heard from you last week and my client’s Reply to Defence and Defence to Counterclaim is due 4pm tomorrow, I had already made a first draft of the application to strike out the Defence and Counterclaim. I will advise my client to continue with that application given that a party’s case must be contained in their pleading. To explain, it is not for my client or I to have to sift through documents, a USB drive and potentially CCTV footage to work out the case it is required to meet and also particularly on the eve of a Court deadline.

The Defence and Counterclaim must contain clear and concise detail as to each and every allegation, documents can still be considered generally, and there will also be a disclosure stage in the proceedings if matters continue and are not resolved. However presently, the respond to the Defence and Counterclaim, there is insufficient detail within the pleading itself.

If you are prepared to agree to consent to amend your Defence and Counterclaim as per my previous correspondence, I can send a Consent Order to be lodged at Court. However in order to protect my client from having to defend the Counterclaim the application will be finalised and submit to the Court, a resolution can still be sought in respect of the application thereafter, if not before, and I will refer to the documents you have delivered today.

I cannot advise you and if you have any queries with the above, I recommend you seek independent legal advice.
    Tags: None

Just to be clear I wish to drop the counterclaim but continue the defense

Comment

You will need to study the wording of the draft order vary carefully before deciding whether to agree its terms.

By all means come back here for opinion on its wording.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

This is clearly linked to the OP's other thread. The questions should have been asked together - there is a risk of going in different directions.

Defence is spelt with a 'c' on this side of the Atlantic.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X