• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can I go to the small claims court?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I go to the small claims court?

On the 26th August I found out the car I bought in May 2022 had outstanding finance on it dating back to October 2021. I spoke to the seller who sold me the car who claimed it was paid offer in October 2021 and that it must have been a mistake by the finance company. I asked him for proof that it was paid off, he then blocked me. I then spoke to the finance company who told me that the car was actioned for repossession, I either had to return the car to them or pay the outstanding finance to keep the car. The act it was under was the bill of sales which means the guy who sold me the car had no right to sell me it and that they were the owners. In the end I had to pay off the outstanding finance of £870.

I have now sold the car to recoup my loss as I borrowed the money from my parents. A day after I settled it with the finance company the seller unblocked me claiming he had been in contact with the finance company and that they were being awkward about the car. He told me he was trying to sort out a payment plan with them. He was lying to me again as the finance was paid off by me.

I have the sellers address, mobile number and kept all the communication of when I bought the car in May and the recent correspondence with the seller. The finance company said they will support me as I will be looking to get the £870 from the seller. I have sent the seller a letter asking for the £870.

What are my chances of getting the money back if I go through the small claims court? And what do I need to do? Advice needed.
    Tags: None

You may well get a judgement in your favour. Whether you will be able to collect on it is another matter: find out what you can about the seller and his/her ability to pay.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X