• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Untrue Statement in Statement of Truth - but can anything be done about it???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Untrue Statement in Statement of Truth - but can anything be done about it???

Hi all,

An Eversheds Sutherland solicitor acting for Nationwide Building Society has admitted to the Court that a 'pivotal' statement in his (so-called) 'Statement of Truth' was, in fact, false and has apologised - profusely - to the Court for his 'inaccurate statement'.

He had asserted - unequivocally - that there was no signed agreement between myself and Nationwide and, despite my two SAR requests, four years apart, which yielded not a shred of evidence of the agreement, finally the Nationwide was able to lay its hands on it - but only because I had included a copy in my witness statement.

This is the same Nationwide which successfully (and shamelessly) persuaded the Court, in order to reverse the judgment by default, that the Claim had not been received - and had possibly gone astray in its post room. The judge said that it's common for Claim forms to go missing in the post - and, of course, there is no record as they are not sent tracked.

The statement - that there was no signed agreement - was relied upon and cited by the Judge in setting aside the judgment by default I had been awarded against Nationwide for £5,000.

The same Eversheds solicitor, who was also responsible for a data breach when he sent my personal information to an unintended party, is seeking to recover in excess of £15,000 in costs against me.

My understanding is that Nationwide, the client/Defendant would be responsible for the untrue statement - if the solicitor had made the statement in his honest belief it was true etc.

It seems Eversheds/Nationwide can simply make an application to the Court apologising - they also missed a deadline to comply with an Order requiring a response to my witness statement within 28 days, for which they also apologised (failure to diarise - honest mistake guv etc).

Is this staggering level of incompetence usual these days and therefore easily forgiven by Courts? And is there anything I can do about it?

Really grateful for any insights/advice.
    Tags: None

This immediately sticks out, it's a Beach of Data Protection Principles even if it's done in error, run the scenario past the ICO.

They are pretty good regards advice. What you will need to do is put in a complaint to Eversheds, seeking compensation for the breach, wait for their response, if you aren't happy lodge a formal complaint with the ICO.

'The same Eversheds solicitor, who was also responsible for a data breach when he sent my personal information to an unintended party, is seeking to recover in excess of £15,000 in costs against me.'

Also you can send in a summary of the other sides conduct to the Judge, see what sanctions he deems fit for that conduct.

Comment

Thank you. I complained to Eversheds, they provided a response which I am not happy with, and no compensation was offered. So, I have filed a complaint with the ICO and am awaiting the outcome. In internal correspondence released by Nationwide (NBS) under a SAR, in-house legal counsel wrote to a data protection colleague requesting that compensation was not offered to me as I had taken legal action against NBS in respect of the breach of contract claim.

Comment

You need to apply to the court to review the decision to set the judgement aside.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Also if you are 'minded too', you could lodge a formal complaint with the SRA if you feel the Code of Conduct has been breached by the solicitor.

Points 1.2 and 1.4 seem pertinent - https://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/st...ct-solicitors/

Comment

Thank you Atticus and Echat11. I will act on your advice - much appreciated!

Comment

Concentrate on your main interests - restoring the default judgment.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X