• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What should the defence barrister have done at sentencing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should the defence barrister have done at sentencing?

Long story short:
    I was bullied into pleading guilty to breach of a restraining order at Crown Court, a breach which I still strongly claim I had "valid reason" to do.
    The understanding in return was that there would be STRONG mitigation at the sentencing.
    The whole thing was done in 20 minutes; the (incredibly expensive) defence barrister said 470 words according to the transcript, and was "incredibly weak" according to someone else in court.

I want to put in a complaint to the solicitor; is it worth me posting a redacted version of the transcript here, along with where I think he failed me?
    I mean, there's normally supposed to be a mitigation in advance of sentence, isn't there? I've not been in Crown before, but that was my understanding.

Incidentally, the transcript said "Reporting restrictions: Yes", which I assume was because the hearing was related to a family court order.
    However, it still appeared in the press, even though I told them to take it off their site.
    Tags: None

You pleaded guilty. Why?

As to the 470 words, this is 1.5 pages of A4. That can be sufficient to get a clear point across. Quality is surely what counts, and not quantity. You may have also have heard the mantra "clarity + brevity = impact".

So the question is whether the best points were made in mitigation, and if not, why not. Questions you should ask your lawyers.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

And court proceedings can be published in a way which is compliant with a reporting restrictions order. Many family court proceedeings law reports begin a paragrapgh saying that reporting restrictions apply.

We can have no way of judging the quality of what was said, but confirm that you should not leave court feeling that you had been bullied into pleading guilty.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X