• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help needed with Defence for Lowell Court Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with Defence for Lowell Court Claim

I have received a claim for a Lowell debt from 2 credit cards and a mobile phone as set out below:

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 1/7/22
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: Yes
    Total Amount Claimed : £1425.57
    Claimant’s Name: Lowell
    Solicitors Firm: Overdales
    Original Creditor: O2, Vanquis, Capitol One
    Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) : Mobile phone credit cards
    Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):
    1. The Claim comprises the following Agreements the Defendant entered into:
    1. Telefonica xxxx and current balance £88.96
    2. Capital One (Europe) plc with ref xxxx and current balance £730.13
    3. Vanquis bank with reference: xxxx and current balance of £352.73
    The agreements were terminated as payments were not maintained and subsequently assigned to the claimant.
    And the claimant claims:
    1. The total of said sums being £1171.82
    2. Interest pursuant to s69 County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum from the date of the assignment to the date of issues, but limited to one year being £93.75
    3. Costs.

Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?): 02 one yes
    List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ): I have not been able to do this yet as I’m struggling to get a printer and postal order am due to sort this out tomorrow.
    Any Other Information or Background Details: I have received the letter before claim and have been sent copies of CCA and default notice and notice of assignment as part of this process.

And the claimant claims:
    I have defended one of these once before and was successful but i am not sure what i can do to defend this.
    1. the mobile date is statute bared - last payment was December 2014
    the two credit card debts are not and i have been sent copies of the assignment, CCA and Default as part of the pre action and they seem legit to me so i am not sure what defence i can put?
    I am also ware i am running out of time so i wondered:
    1. am I entitled to email request for the CPR and CCA? they have already provided me with this information so can i request again?
    2. can i request for more for the defence as i have been having difficulties getting a printer and a PO sorted?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ULA; 22nd July 2022, 19:10:PM.
    Tags: None

Hi Jake

Can you edit your post to remove, card details, replace with XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Comment

a) 1. the mobile date is statute bared - last payment was December 2014

Provided no payment or written communications admitting the debt in the last 6 years, then the debt is statute barred.

b) the two credit card debts are not and i have been sent copies of the assignment, CCA and Default as part of the pre action and they seem legit to me so i am not sure what defence i can put?

You need to go through the CCA agreements to see if they are compliant, do they contain all the information they should?
      are they reconstructed or originals? has the agreement been 'varied'?

I am also ware i am running out of time so i wondered:

c) am I entitled to email request for the CPR and CCA? they have already provided me with this information so can i request again?

Yes email them to request as part of the CPR and CCA protocols (it might be the same information, but they still need to comply with your request). The CCA 1974 only applies to the credit card accounts, not the 02 account. So just write a letter requesting a copy of the 02 agreement.

d) can i request for more for the defence as i have been having difficulties getting a printer and a PO sorted?

Don't understand this bit.

e) This is an example defence, you should have all the information, so start working on it.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-court-claims/

You need to work out the date that your defence needs to be lodged with Court and their solicitors, note it in your diary, 14 + 14 + 5 days postal, but try to get it done within the 28 days.

Comment

HI thanks for the quick reply.
        My point on e. was can i request an extension on the date for the defence to be filled due to me not being able to get a Postal Order to request the CCA? i don't have a cheque book and don't live near a post office so its not easy to sort out due to work ect.

Also i can't seem to find the edit button?

Comment

Originally posted by jakebiz12 View Post
          HI thanks for the quick reply.
          My point on e. was can i request an extension on the date for the defence to be filled due to me not being able to get a Postal Order to request the CCA? i don't have a cheque book and don't live near a post office so its not easy to sort out due to work ect.

Also i can't seem to find the edit button?
          Regards e) If you can get consent from Overdales / Lowells, then they may give you an extension, send an email to both, make sure they send you a confirmation email, explain that you can't get to Post Office, due to work commitments. Keep the letter brief.

I've reported the edit issue to Admin

Celestine

ULA

Comment

i had a couple of questions:

1. the POC don't specify any documents so does that mean i am unable to request them as part of my request?
            2. can a post a copy of the CCA i do have for an opinion if they look compliant? i've has look but don't know what i'm looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by jakebiz12 View Post
              i had a couple of questions:

1. the POC don't specify any documents so does that mean i am unable to request them as part of my request?
              2. can a post a copy of the CCA i do have for an opinion if they look compliant? i've has look but don't know what i'm looking for.

Agreements, assignment and termination, so ask for Agreements, Notice of Assignment and Default Notices.

Have a look at the following - https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/CONC/13/1.html

Comment

Card details removed
                If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
                If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X