• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cowboy builder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowboy builder

On 9 March 2022, my home builder agreed to do a loft conversion in my house at a cost of GBP40,000. He agreed to start the work on 12 March 2022 and finish it in 9 weeks in worst case scenario, i.e. 7 May 2022.

He asked for advance payments for future work, which should have been paid later according to his payment schedule. However I did make the payments totalling GBP 33,750 in cash and via bank by 24 March 2022.

After 24 March all the work stopped. He then came back only on two more days on 27 and 28 April. His excuses were that the materials were delivered late and his trailer was broken down and his uncle passed away and his wife was sick and his worker got Covid and his workers did not work for him. And then he has not been back since.

The work had stopped and the loft was only 20-30% finished (2nd/3rd week out of 9 weeks) on the agreed date 7 May, 2022.

To make the time of essence, a second agreement was made (letter of action I assume?) on 11 May 2022, that he would start the work on 17 May and would finish the outside works by 4 June 2022.

But now no work has resumed and it is unlikely that the work could finish in a week.

What should I do next? I don’t have his address as it is a fake one. I only have his mobile number, bank details and car plate number.
    Tags: None

Step 1: find him. Get name and address (real one, not fake).
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Where can I find the address?

Comment

Can I report to police for help?

Comment

Originally posted by Clh View Post
          Where can I find the address?
          DVLA to check where the car is registered to. The point is you handed payment, If a builder cannot complete a job without an advance find one that can, a bit late in your case but that's the advice from a Bank.

Comment

engage an investigator?
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

try 192.com as a start,

Comment

Thank you all. I tried 192.com but it provides the same fake address.

Comment

I have two questions now:
                  1. What if I can’t find his real address?
                  2. what is the next step if I have the real address?

Comment

1. engage an investigator. You won't get a penny back from someone you cannot find!

2. County Court claim.

Do you have any documentation, whether on paper or digital form?

Comment

Thank you Atticus. I’ll try to use other investigators.

yes I have documentation for all cash receipts, bank payment records, agreements, letter of action and WhatsApp records, most in digital form.

Comment

What do the agreements say in terms of name, address, company/business number, VAT registration number, and anything else?

Comment

In the agreements there is only information of his name.
                          The cash receipts have his bank details, company name (but later I found it slightly different from the government company check), and copy of his driving license.
                          I was not aware of the need of the VAT registration number.

Comment

The agreements were sent on WhatsApp.

Comment

Atticus, I found many claim forms on the government website. My claim would be over £10000 but less than £100000, should I use Money Claim online?

summary of my previous replies:
                              In the agreements there is only information of his name.
                              The cash receipts have his bank details, company name (but later I found it slightly different from the government company check), and copy of his driving license.
                              I was not aware of the need of the VAT registration number.
                              The agreements were sent via whatsapp.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X