• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Defamation in small claims court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defamation in small claims court

I have a defamation claim I wish to lodge for libel, if parties agree to it being lodged in the County Court instead of the High Court could I then use the small claims route.

Pre action protocol would have been completed in the normal way.

It is not a complex claim where all the evidence is contained in an email to a third party which I obtained via a Subject Access Request.
    Tags: None

The operative word in the CPRs is ''started''.

Click image for larger version

Name:	started.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	1609339

Although technically you can ''start'' a claim for defamation in the County Court with the agreement of the parties, any such claim will invariably be allocated to the multi-track and transferred to the High Court where costs are huge (the hearing fee alone is £1100) and procedures are too complex to navigate without legal representation.

What's the case about?

Comment

Thanks for the response. I think I could cover the same issues with a harassment claim which I could run in the County Court.

In a nutshell I made a complaint regarding the police failing to record and investigate crimes.

The officer took umbrage and made false and malicious comments in an email to an employee in the PCCs office in an attempt to avoid being investigated whilst discrediting me.

It also affected my security business and reputation.

Comment

I'm not sure that an email to an employee in the PCCs office would constitute harassment. I'm not tying to put you off but playing devil's advocate.

I'll ask islandgirl des8 what they think.

Comment

Harassment needs at least 2 occasions so I do not believe it would run - certainly would not in criminal court. I also do not understand how one email to one person had such an impact? Have you gone down the formal complaint route?

Comment

One single email (especially intended only for a third party) would not amount to "a course of conduct" amounting to harassment,
            There needs to be at least two incidents.

I also think you might find that comments made in the course of an investigation by the PCC are privileged (at least to a certain extent), as are complaints made to the police.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X