• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Friend Extorted by Business Partner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend Extorted by Business Partner

Around two weeks ago, a friend of mine started a cleaning business with a guy that his sibling knew at school but he (the guy starting the business did not know well). They never registered a limited company or set up as sole traders as they first wanted to see if the business will do well. Plus I also recommended to my friend that he waits 2 months to see if he can work with his new business partner that he didn't know well in the first place.

My friend ended up not happy with the unofficial partnership and told the guy that he had decided to go on his own. The friend in question also paid the guy for the equipment that he (the guy) had bought, my friend paid in cash but a third-party witness was there at the exchange. However, for some reason, the guy did not take the fact that my friend wanted to end the unofficial partnership well and began threatening my friend over text messages with physical violence and was demanding that my friend buys him out even though there was no actual registered business or sole trader partnership.

The threats went on for around a week, until, the guy turned up at my friend's home with a number of men and was threatening him and was now demanding that my friend gives him most of the equipment he used for the business. Before this occurred my friend had called 101 to report the threats of violence but the police had told him that they could not do anything about that. What ended up happening is that my friend was threatened into giving away most of his equipment that he had already paid for in front of a third-party witness in cash (a week or so prior). The CCTV camera on my friend's home captured some of the incident.

My question is how to legally proceed in order to recover this equipment or its monetary value, are the smalls claim court the right avenue? Furthermore, objectively does my friend have a chance of success, in this case, considering that he has a witness of the equipment being bought, text messages of the threats, and also CCTV footage of some of the incident. Also, my friend is scared that if he goes forward with this lawsuit that he will be attacked or his property (car/home) vandalized, I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this but what can he do in order to prevent this legally or lower the chances of that happening?

Thank you in advance for your advice
    Tags: None

Make a full complaint at a local police station.
    To get it right might be worth having a fixed fee consultation with a solicitor first

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Make a full complaint at a local police station.
      To get it right might be worth having a fixed fee consultation with a solicitor first
      Thank you for the advice

Comment

I don't understand why the Police said they could do nothing: https://offencecode.uk/offence/use-w...larm-distress/

Comment

bear in mind the call operators are (probably) not police officers, hence the need to go to the station and speak to someone (preferably a sergeant or above) in person

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X