• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. If this is your first visit to LegalBeagles and you need assistance then you can ask a question here;
    Create a Thread
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hedge dispute and damages

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hedge dispute and damages

    Ok need some help here please
    in 2018 in front in two witnesses my neighbour gave us permission to reduce the height of the hedge by a certain amount
    I go to cute the height down and after i had done about 2 metres worth he tells me doesn't want the hedge cutting down to that height
    As part of the pursuing argument whilst cutting our side of the hedge the neighbour attacks me with his pressure washer turned on , this being common assault
    Police come out and he agrees to something called restorative justice and agrees to admit to it and signs a ABC (acceptable behaviour contract)
    during this attack he gets my phone wet and it stops working. he now wants to sue me for damages to the hedge
    Now i dont own the house, my partner does , but my partner did not cut the hedge
    My defence is simply one of promissory estoppel (i believe this would be right), i would then enter two witness statements and call my two witnesses for the hearing
    Secondly i would issue a counter claim for the damaged phone. Would i be right in thinking that since it couldn't be repaired (i have the damage report) then would i issue a counter claim for the cost of the phone as a new replacement
    I think this could be quite long and drawn out and he will deny saying i could cut the hedge
    finally i believe his claim could only be against me , now i dont own the house and have no assets he can touch, i dont believe he can go after my partner as (although not a private nuisance claim and not a landlord) the court of appeal has ruled that someone else can not be held for a nuisance if they did not authorise it

    My entire defence would be promissory estoppel

    any help and guidiance would be appreciated
    I am expecting a letter before claim at any time, i need to ensure that he goes after me only, in which case i am on safe ground , he could win 50K and i wouldn't be bothered
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Can anyone assist with this please.....


    • #3

      So the neighbour gave you permission to reduce the height of the hedge, but after work had commenced he withdrew that permission.
      Presumably you then ceased operations.
      He is now threatening to sue you for damaging the hedge.

      That might be an idle threat, but if he should initiate a claim your defence is that you were acting with his permission.

      Presumably the hedge is on the boundary between the two properties.
      If it was excessively high (over 2 metres), evergreen or semi evergreen and obstructed light or views complaint could be made to the local council under Part 8 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 and the High Hedges (Appeals) (England) Regulations 2005.
      You might be able to work it into your defence in that if he had not agreed to you reducing the height you would have made complaint to the council

      You weren't acting as your partner's agent so unlikely he would be successful if he included her as joint defender.

      You could lodge a counterclaim for your phone, but only for its value not its replacement cost as new


      View our Terms and Conditions

      LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

      If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

      If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.


      1 of 2 < >


      Pre-Action Letters
      First Steps
      Check dates
      Acknowledge Claim
      CCA Request
      CPR 31.14 Request
      Subject Access Request Letter
      Example Defence
      Set Aside Application
      Witness Statements
      Directions Questionnaire
      Statute Barred Letter

      If you received a court claim and would like some help and support dealing with it, please read the first steps and make a new thread in the forum with as much information as you can.

      NOTE: If you receive a court claim note these dates in your calendar ...
      Acknowledge Claim - within 14 days from Service

      Defend Claim - within 28 days from Service (IF you acknowledged in time)

      If you fail to Acknowledge the claim you may have a default judgment awarded against you, likewise, if you fail to enter your defence within 28 days from Service.

      We now feature a number of specialist consumer credit debt solicitors on our sister site, JustBeagle.com
      If your case is over £10,000 or particularly complex it may be worth a chat with a solicitor, often they will be able to help on a fixed fee or CFA (no win, no fee) basis.
      2 of 2 < >

      Need Formal Help?

      Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

      Find a Law Firm

      See more
      See less

      Court Claim ?

      Guides and Letters

      Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

      Find a Law Firm