• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Two court cases coming up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two court cases coming up

Hi, I run a small decorating/property renovation company.

It has been struggling, and I have two non-payers to deal with before I strike the company off. Court papers are now the next steps.

Non-payers:

1)

I had one quote commenced at £5,400 (client: facilities management company), they paid 60 percent of the invoice so far, leaving £2,160 remaining. They are now saying that the work was not to their clients standard. But, I argue that it was left perfectly acceptable (I think they have had ongoing issues with the contract regardless resulting in more damage out of my remit).

1st solicitor letter went out, they said they will counterclaim and contest for £16,000 (inc. £7,000 legal fees)? I personally was not sure if they could charge legal fees in small claims? Their argument is that they have had to pay again, and occurred losses as a result.

2)

I have a second more complicated case. His final invoice due is £4,488.00. Here, I am worried because he was sent the quote on the 16/10/19. The company was incorporated on the 18/10/19 (transitioning from sole trader to limited status). The schedule of works and deposit was later finalised after the 18/10/19. The client paid the deposit into the limited company account. The public liability insurance that covers his work is also under the limited company. The same VAT number (VAT charged to him) also transitioned from sole trader to the limited company.

I already had a reply from the client, he makes the argument that his quote was sent on the 16/10/19. Therefore, he has no contract with the limited company. A solicitor advised me (through legal cover) that this quote dated 16/10/19 could be seen as the 'basis' for the contract. I want to argue differently? They also believe a judge may view differently, and favour him as a customer, and that he wasn't correctly informed, resulting in him even being refunded. He basically got out of paying so far and I terminated his contract, as he was in breach of contract two times. This is actually the issue: I say he was in breach of contract, he says what contract? I would argue, he paid the deposit into the limited company bank account, with its VAT number? There is a breach in contract with non-payment. The solicitor confirmed this non-payment breach and also views that there is a contract. But just on what basis the judge will view this is the problem.

My feelings for both of the above are just put the court papers in the post regardless, as I am striking off the company anyway. If both pay a settlement it is better than not trying at all. The first case, if I lose, the company is being struck off regardless? Would they really bother contesting? The latter case, I do not want to be personally responsible.

I know that you are not allowed to be sole-trader and a limited company at the same time. So, what the solicitor says may be incorrect. Remember that the solicitors are not financial experts. This would mean that my client couldn't have traded with me as a sole-trader, because it would have been illegal, and me as a sole-trader no longer existed. The other argument being, what difference does it make, because the same problem would have occurred either way?
    Last edited by jones_guitar; 6th April 2020, 20:47:PM.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X