• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bailiffs threatened yet payment made!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bailiffs threatened yet payment made!!

Dear All.
    Thank you in advance for any help you can provide on this one, it's a very close friend who's in his 70s, even though he makes reference to his girlfriend His predicament is as follows, in his own words:

"On September 16th, 2019, I drove my girlfriend from my home in Bethnal Green to Heathrow, obviously intending to avoid the congestion zone, which until then I had never entered. But a motorcycle accident near the Gray’s Inn Road meant the police set up a diversion; one effect was to steer me briefly into the congestion zone. Within a week I had a notice through the post that I had incurred two penalties, one for breaching the zone, the other for driving a car – a Ford Fiesta manufactured un 1999 - that apparently did not comply with legal emissions. The letter from TfL demanded fines totalling £80.00 On September 24th, using my Barclays credit card, I paid this sum, and put the whole event down to sheer bad luck. On February 24th, 2020, I received a letter from a debt collection agency called Equita demanding that I pay them an outstanding sum of £323.00 outstanding. They were acting for TfL, which claimed I had an outstanding bill for non-payment of the fine incurred on September 16, 2019 amounting to £248.00 – TfL’s account reference number is XXXXX Equita, in a note dated February 18th, 2020, threatens that if I have not paid £323.00 - including their compliance fee of £75.00 - by 17.30 on February 25th (that is, tomorrow) an enforcement agent will visit me and may ‘seize my belongings’ this is called ‘taking control’ They intend to send in a bailiff. I immediately phoned Barclays Bank to confirm that on September 24th, 2019, TfL accepted payment from me through my credit card for £80.00. The bank has agreed to send a letter confirming this transaction, but it is not likely to reach me until later this week.. I have contacted the National Debt Line, but I was held on the phone for 20 minutes without talking to a human. I will contact Citizen’s Advice Bureau tomorrow."

Any advice suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you very much.
    Tags: None

And what did TfL say?

Comment

Thanks PlodderTom. You mean, has he tried TFL directly to explain the situation? I've just posed the question to him.

Comment

Surely if he has paid via his bank he would have a payment confirmation on a statement he could show or send them.

Comment

Yes, he has and his bank is going to send him confirmation of payment too, he's just worried it will arrive too late. I've just been reading up on it and apparently he needs to complete a form te9. What a palava when you've not done anything wrong

Comment

Update: I've just downloaded and sent the form te9 to my friend and told him if he's not already done so, to complete and send back first thing tomorrow. Thank you all

Comment

Don't know if this will help https://bailiffadviceonline.co.uk/in...ness-statement

Comment

Thanks vm PlodderTom, I will take a look.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X