• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Amending the name on a Judgement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amending the name on a Judgement

Hello,

I'm hoping this forum can help me get the clear answers I need to get a judgment that is stuck at the moment, moving once again.

I have a county judgement in my favour from a few months ago. It is against a defendant that I purchased goods from and have returned them but was refused a refund. I made a claim via the courts and a judgement was made in my favour, however, the defendant is now refusing payment on the grounds that I have sued the wrong name. I have sued a trading name and not the limited company that uses the trading name.

Please can someone explaing to me in clear steps what form or process I need to follow in order to get the name changed or the Ltd company name added to the judgement so it can be enforced? The defendant is likley to still refuse to pay, so I expect to have to go down the baliff route.

I have seen some helpful posts on here before about using the N244 form or requesting a warrant of control with CPR 83.18, but I cannot make sense of which one applies to me and is the correct way to go, and then how to actually do it. The N244 form is confisuing to say the least.

Many thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

If the defendant is correct that you sued the wrong entity (do check) you need to make an application on form N244 (£255 fee) to vary the judgement.The court could decline to vary and just set it aside allowing defendant to defend.

what part is confusing you?
    These links might help
    https://assets.publishing.service.go...-notes-eng.pdf
    https://www.inbrief.co.uk/civil-cour...n-notice-n244/.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      If the defendant is correct that you sued the wrong entity (do check) you need to make an application on form N244 (£255 fee) to vary the judgement.The court could decline to vary and just set it aside allowing defendant to defend.

what part is confusing you?
      These links might help
      https://assets.publishing.service.go...-notes-eng.pdf
      https://www.inbrief.co.uk/civil-cour...n-notice-n244/.
      The confusing part is two fold. Firstly is the N244 form the right way to do this and if so how do I fill out each field the form correctly, how do I write a draft of the order and which order am I applying for? And is it definitely the £255 fee and not the £100 fee - "General application (N244) – by consent or without notice"

Is it not possible to apply to have the Ltd company name added to the judgment via another means? The defendant did choose to defend the case then did not turn up to the hearing which is why I received the judgement in my favour.

Comment

Your order is on the lines of "to vary the name of judgment debtor to xyz ltd t/a abc .
        The reason is that although a defence was entered the defendant did not plead that abc was incorrect"

The order is not by consent, and a hearing will probably be ordered.

I know of no other way

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X