• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ Advice

Hi all

Advice needed please.

I received a letter recently from a debt collection agency demanding money threatening court action etc.....

I wrote to the company saying I know nothing about it and to ask for more details, they have come back with it being a bank debt CCJ from 2002 with a CCJ reference number, I phoned the trust registry for further details but they have said that the reference number doesn’t exist.

Any help or advice would be grateful.

Many Thanks
    Tags: None

a CCJ from 2002 ?? have you any idea what this is for ? because even a court order is statute barred !!??

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

The Debt Collection Agency said it related to a bank account acquired by me in 2002 - that is all the information they have sent me

Comment

i see so the agreement whatever it was started in 2002, not a CCJ from 2002 ?

still not quite sure what this is any chance you could post up a redacted copy of their letter or even put in the wording of their letter so we can see what they are claiming ?

Comment

First of all if they had obtained a CCJ then it can never be Statute Barred but would have fallen off your Credit File after 6 years whether paid or not. If no enforcement procedures have taken place then they are going to have a job convincing a Judge to rubber stamp it. Also for arguments sake have they been substituted as the Claimant. Yes the debt still exists but really up to you whether you pay or not.

Personally I would give them a two word answer - the second word being Off.

Comment

i would have to disagree with this, i believe that after judgement they have 6 years to enforce the judgement from the date of the judgement itself or the statute of limitations takes effect.

i totally agree with the 2 word answer though

Comment

You are correct that they have 6 years to enforce, if they want to enforce after this then they need to go back to Court and explain why they have not done so previously and make a good case for doing it - this is something that is very rarely granted. There is no Statute of Limitations on a CCJ whether paid or not.

Have a read of https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/...rred-debt.aspx scroll down to County Court Judgments.

Comment

correct me if i am wrong as i am no expert, but i was referring to statute of limitations act, i believe it is section 24

Comment

Originally posted by chareosS View Post
                  correct me if i am wrong as i am no expert, but i was referring to statute of limitations act, i believe it is section 24
                  I agree with ploddertom on this. (Depending on circumstances)

https://publications.parliament.uk/p...29/lowsley.htm
                  Last edited by charitynjw; 14th April 2019, 13:50:PM.
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                  Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                  gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                  The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

relevant section of limitations act i was referring to

24 Time limit for actions to enforce judgments.

(1)An action shall not be brought upon any judgment after the expiration of six years from the date on which the judgment became enforceable.

(2)No arrears of interest in respect of any judgment debt shall be recovered after the expiration of six years from the date on which the interest became due.

Comment

For all these reasons I would hold that the first question must be answered in favour of the plaintiffs. "Action" in section 24(1) means a fresh action, and does not include proceedings by way of execution.
                      From the above link. (HoL, so precedent.)
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Section 24 is to do with the time that enforcement action (and/or interest) may be taken and puts a bar on it after 6 years - this may still be appealed against if the Claimant has good reason - was the Judgment that was some 11.5 years old to do with someone who had gone abroad and therefore no enforcement action could be taken until their return.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
                          Section 24 is to do with the time that enforcement action (and/or interest) may be taken and puts a bar on it after 6 years - this may still be appealed against if the Claimant has good reason - was the Judgment that was some 11.5 years old to do with someone who had gone abroad and therefore no enforcement action could be taken until their return.
                          Yep
                          They reckoned he'd absconded to avoid payment 'til the 6 years were long passed.
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

interesting and well worth knowing

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X