• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

County Court Claim Form Received for PCN 2 Yrs Ago - Is it Worth Defending this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County Court Claim Form Received for PCN 2 Yrs Ago - Is it Worth Defending this?

Please help!! I loaned my car to someone, over 2 years ago, and they incurred a parking ticket when parking in a car park on private land. However, in their defence the car park never used to charge to park there and this was a new system that had been imposed since their last visit to said car park. When the original PCN was received through the post I gave it to the driver who returned to the car park (as they didn't believe you did now have to pay) the signs were very small and practically unreadable and she could immediately see why she hadn't realised that it was necessary to pay to park. In addition to that she went into the shop that she had been visiting at the time, to advise she had received a parking ticket whilst shopping there, and they took her name and vehicle details and said that, as this was a fairly new system, and she had her receipt for shopping, they would contact the parking company and ask that no further action be taken. We assumed this was the end to the matter. We have obviously received further letters from Britannia Parking, which we foolishly ignored believing they were related to a separate car parking notice which I was already dealing with. However, I have now received a County Court Claim Form in respect of the matter. I have gone on line and acknowledged this and I would like to defend this but not sure if it is worth it? Part of me was going to ring and pay it as the driver is in no financial position to make any payments and a County Court Judgement would cause me serious credit issues. However, I feel strongly about this as I feel it was not sign posted to tell drivers that a new parking system had been put in place and the driver had a legitimate reason for using this car park and would have paid had they realised. Has anyone else successfully defended something like this and if so how do I defend it given that the vehicle was there and didn't pay the relevant fee and it was not me driving.
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Linny992 View Post
    Please help!! I loaned my car to someone, over 2 years ago, and they incurred a parking ticket when parking in a car park on private land.
    However, in their defence the car park never used to charge to park there and this was a new system that had been imposed since their last visit to said car park.
    When the original PCN was received through the post I gave it to the driver who returned to the car park (as they didn't believe you did now have to pay)
    the signs were very small and practically unreadable and she could immediately see why she hadn't realised that it was necessary to pay to park.
    In addition to that she went into the shop that she had been visiting at the time, to advise she had received a parking ticket whilst shopping there, and they took her name and vehicle details and said that, as this was a fairly new system, and she had her receipt for shopping, they would contact the parking company and ask that no further action be taken.
    We assumed this was the end to the matter.
    We have obviously received further letters from Britannia Parking, which we foolishly ignored believing they were related to a separate car parking notice which I was already dealing with.
    However, I have now received a County Court Claim Form in respect of the matter. I have gone on line and acknowledged this and I would like to defend this but not sure if it is worth it?
    Part of me was going to ring and pay it as the driver is in no financial position to make any payments and a County Court Judgement would cause me serious credit issues.
    However, I feel strongly about this as I feel it was not sign posted to tell drivers that a new parking system had been put in place and the driver had a legitimate reason for using this car park and would have paid had they realised.
    Has anyone else successfully defended something like this and if so how do I defend it given that the vehicle was there and didn't pay the relevant fee and it was not me driving.
    The short answer is yes, defend.

Britannia seem to be chasing a fair few of these old PCNs.

Have you been in contact with them at all?

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thank you for your response. I called them when I first received this, which I'm now regretting but I panicked. I simply asked them if this was a genuine court summons (it looks blurry and just didn't initially seem to be correct) they advised it was. I did advise them that I was not the driver and briefly told them what I have said on here but of course they weren't interested and said I now needed to follow the relevant legal channels unless I paid the full amount there and then

Comment

No probs....'phone calls probably don't count.

Could you post up copy of the claim form (N1)?....suitably redacted (obscure your personal details, any mention of the vehicle reg no., etc

Or just type it. (+ issue date)
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Please see the Court Claim Form attached. Is the first page sufficient?
          Attached Files

Comment

Lovely, thanks.

Issue date?
            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Issue date was 19th February and I acknowledged it online on 28th Feb

Comment

Ok

Defence to be filed Mon 25th March latest.

Did they send any letters to you in the month or so prior to issuing a court claim?
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

I can't recall that they did but I am not certain of that as I stupidly ignored previous correspondence thinking it was related to a different case

Comment

Send one of these to Britannia requesting all personal data they hold on this matter (+ a copy to their sols if applicable.)

& one of these to the sols....BWL? (or to Britannia if no sols) asking for the same (all data) + a copy of the site signage & a copy of their contrct with the landowner/authorised agent.

Both are free of charge.

Keep copies & get proof of postage.
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Ok I will do that today and come back to update as and when. Thank you so much for your help

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                        Send one of these to Britannia requesting all personal data they hold on this matter (+ a copy to their sols if applicable.)

& one of these to the sols....BWL? (or to Britannia if no sols) asking for the same (all data) + a copy of the site signage & a copy of their contrct with the landowner/authorised agent.

Both are free of charge.

Keep copies & get proof of postage.

Sorry one more thing I have just noticed as I am about to post my letters is that the guide template says that data protection law states that they have 1 month to respond.

I only have 12 days until my defence has to be filed?

Comment

charitynjw - One more thing I have just noticed, as I was putting my letters into envelopes, and that is that it states that "under data protection law, the information must be provided within 1 month"
                          I have to post my defence in the next 12 days?

Comment

No worries.

If they don't send anything to you before the defence needs to be filed, you just say (among other things) that, "as the Claimant failed to disclose any evidence on which they presumably will seek to rely, the Defendant has requested data via the Data Protection Act 2018/GDPR. To date there has been no response"
                            Something like that.
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                              No worries.

If they don't send anything to you before the defence needs to be filed, you just say (among other things) that, "as the Claimant failed to disclose any evidence on which they presumably will seek to rely, the Defendant has requested data via the Data Protection Act 2018/GDPR. To date there has been no response"
                              Something like that.
                              Ok thank you so much for your help. I have posted the letters today to arrive there tomorrow and will come back on here asap, probably to ask you for more help!! Thank you again

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X