• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking Charge County Court Business Centre Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking Charge County Court Business Centre Claim

Hey,

Hoping to get some help with a court claim I received after ignoring letters for a parking charge please!

On 22nd July 2018 my car was left in an NCP car park. The driver was a couple of minutes over the 10 mins that they will let you off and received a letter from them in the post requesting £60! Which was utterly ridiculous and after browsing the web constantly saw the advice to just ignore at all costs.

I then received letters from BW legal chasing even more debt and again ignored.

On 4th Decemer BW Legal sent me a 'letter of claim' stating that I now owe £160 or legal action will be taken, I did not actually get this letter until today as I have moved out of my parents and these letters have been going to their house!

Along with this was a claim form dated 24 Jan 19 from 'County Court Business Centre' including a moneyclaim link etc to log into. The charges are now listed as follows:
    Amount claimed £167.44
    Court Fee £25
    Legal rep costs £50
    Total £242.44

I have completed the acknowledgement of service and have started to draft a defence, please can this be reviewed and advice given as I have no idea what I am doing and can in no way pay those ludicrous above charges,:

DEFENCE

1. The defendant denies liability for the entirety of the claim due to the reasons explained in the below defence.

2. The defendant believes that the signs of terms and conditions fail the test of ‘large lettering’ and prominence, as established in the ParkingEye V Beavis case. Terms and conditions not seen by driver on entry and are in very small print. The terms on the date were not seen, therefore the elements of a binding contract on any known charges are absent.

3. On further investigation the defendant has come to doubt there being relevant planning permission for the pole-mounted ANPR camera on site on the date of the accused contravention (22/07/18) or for the advertisement consent for the associated contractual signage in and around the site in question. If this was not in place than this would make the request of details from DLVA void. As there was a witness present in the vehicles at all times the defendant is certain that there was no ticket officer present to otherwise support this claim.

4. As outlined in the British Parking Association Code of Practice section 13 a fair grace period is to be applied. Within the first correspondence from National Car Parks, the time stated is merely minutes over the ten minute minimum, the defendant is not certain of the validity of the ANPR timings as they and the mentioned witness both note this to be a very short time in the mentioned site and do not believe this to have breached the grace period.

5. It is unclear as to what legal basis the claim is brought, whether for breach of contract, contractual liability, or trespass. However, it is denied that the Defendant, or any driver of the vehicle, entered into any contractual agreement with the Claimant, whether express, implied, or by conduct.

6. The Claimant is put to strict proof that it has sufficient proprietary interest in the land, or that it has the necessary authorisation from the landowner to issue parking charge notices, and to pursue payment by means of litigation.

7. The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, Schedule 4, at Section 4(5) states that the maximum sum that may be recovered from the keeper is the charge stated on the Notice to Keeper, in this case £100. The claim includes an additional £60, for which no calculation or explanation is given, and which appears to be an attempt at double recovery.

8. In summary, it is the Defendant's position that the claim discloses no cause of action, is without merit, and has no real prospect of success. Accordingly, the Court is invited to strike out the claim of its own initiative, using its case management powers pursuant to CPR 3.4.

I confirm that the above facts and statements are true to the best of my knowledge.

Signed
    Date

Is this ok to send as it stands?

Just a note, am never using NCP again and also now know not to ignore til it gets to this stage so have learnt my lesson!
    Last edited by BellaBunny; 30th January 2019, 19:51:PM.
    Tags: None

But you have hinted at the driver in your post, edit, use "the driver......" etc THe PPCs have been known to read these forums and present them in court.

So the time they have is the time between the cameras, when the car is moving and hence by definition cannot be parking,. The time parking was probably met with the grace period requirements.

What is on the Notice to Keeper? Perhaps post it up, suitably redacted, for comments. Leave the dates.

Comment

Ah yes that is a very good point, thanks for this.

I dont actually have the first corespondents from NEC, having moved house etc these have been lost :/ am I able to request these back from them?

Comment

As you now know ignoring hasn't been the advice since 2012.

SAR request to NCP asking for your data, https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

Letter to BWL demanding copies of all documents that they intend to rely on in court in order to narrow the issues between you, as expected by the courts. You expect this within 7 days as they should have all the documents to hand to perform diligence before issuing the claim.

Comment

Hi Ostell, Yes I do know now and definitely regret letting it get to this stage.

I read through the help info yesterday and found the template for asking for all of the info from BW which I now have. The time I was in the car park is shown as 13.15 so will definitely argue the fact that this is barely over the grace period and I was not parked for this amount of time.

They have sent photos of my car entering and leaving the car park but nothing otherwise.

Does the fact that I found info of this car park not having planning permission for the ANPR camera at the time of this stand anywhere for me?

I have the notice to keeper now too would you like me to post?

Thanks
          Last edited by BellaBunny; 29th January 2019, 11:45:AM.

Comment

Yes post up the notice to keeper please. Remove identifying details but leave date.

In post #5 third paragraph "they have sent photos of my car...." Need to be careful. Read all of the post.

Lack of planning permission is not criminal, it can be applied for retrospectively, it may be helpful. Look for advertising consent for the signage. Lack of consent is a criminal act and you could argue that they should not be allowed to profit from a criminal act.

Comment

OK, Where would I look for the advertising consent?

Parking Charge Notice to Keeper

Date of incident 22/07/18
              Date of notice 01/08/18
              The cost £100
              14 day discount £60
              Pay by date 29/08/18

Dear ___
              The driver of the above vehicle is liable for a parking charge of £100. This charge relates to the period of parking specified in this document, the charge having been incurred due to the following breach of the car park terms and conditions of use: Parked without payment of the parking charge and liability for the same having been brought to the attention of the driver by clear signage in and around the site (___) at the time of parking. The breach relating to the period of parking was recorded by an approved ANPR camera.

Payment is now required to the sum of £100, which must be paid no later than 28 days from the date this notice is given. However if payment is received within 14 days from the date this notice is given, then a reduced amount of £60 will be accepted in full and final settlement.

We, National Car Parks Ltd, are the creditor. At the time of this notice we do not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver and as the registered keeper of the vehicle -
              YOU ARE NOW INVITED TO:
              (i) Pay the unpaid parking charge; or
              (ii) If you were not the driver of the vehicle, to notify us ( in writing using the driver identification form on the reverse ) of the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver AND pass this notice on to the driver.

Please be warned: that if, after the period of 28 days beginning with the day after that on which the Notice is given (i) the amount of the unpaid parking charge specified in this notice has not been paid in full, and (ii) we do not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, we will have the right to recover from you, so much of that parking charge as remains unpaid.

Additional charges may be recovered from the liable party if debt recovery action or court proceedings become necessary. This notice is deemed to have been given to you on the second working day after the date of sending above.

You must choose to either pay OR appeal this notice. If you choose to pay, any subsequent appeal will not be heard.

Then there is info on how to pay/appeal etc

Comment

Have found an article on this exact car park where I received the PCN: https://www.crawleyobserver.co.uk/ne...eous-1-8787185

It seems as if this confirms that no advertisement consent was in place?

Comment

You ask the council if there is advertising consent for the signs.

Comment

Hey
                    have sent an email to the council but also after some digging on the council website I have found the application they submitted for this on 06/11 when my received pin is from July. So they definitely did not have the consent. Do you think this will be a strong enough argument on its own as my defence?

Comment

It will not be good on its own but will go amongst the rest. Lack of advertising consent as a separate item. Ex turpi causa non oritur actio Here's a link to an explantation

Explain that they were breaking the law when they issued the charge but have since applied for consent.

Comment

Thank you!! I will add this into my defence then submit it I guess? Do you think they are likely to still follow it through to court after reading my defence?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X