• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unable to question evidence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to question evidence

When the other party in a claim in the small claims court submits evidence which you believe is untrue or misrepresentative is it fair for a Judge not to allow you to question that evidence and as such let untruths stand uncontested and also then these used and referred to by the judge in his summing up and decision making order?
    Is there a process for challenging this unfair practice?
    Tags: None

CPR 32.19 is your answer. A little known rule that almost no one ever remembers or uses.

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...s/part32#32.19
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
      CPR 32.19 is your answer. A little known rule that almost no one ever remembers or uses.

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...s/part32#32.19
      Thanks Rob
      Would this be the case in a small claims court hearing?

Comment

As the general rules of evidence don't apply to small claims, you would think not. However, one could argue for the purposes of challenging whether a document is authentic, that particular rule could apply for that specific purpose. Alternatively, the only other option I could see is to appeal on the grounds challenging the authenticity of the evidence, though generally when it comes to decisions made by judges as a matter of fact, superior courts very rarely get involved as the trial judge is usually in the best position to determine those facts.

Thinking aloud, if you weren't happy about the authenticity of the documents, you could have raised it at the beginning of the hearing and requested an adjournment for expert witnesses or some other way of proving the authenticity. Ultimately, it is up to you to explain why the document is not authentic.

If you raised the issue of authenticity and the judge dismissed it without a reasonable explanation, then you might have grounds for appeal. Usually, in the standard directions for small claims it does state that originals must be brought on the day and if that original was not brought then you could have an argument.

I have to admit though I haven't seen or heard of anyone challenging the authenticity of a document on the small claims track so how that would be approached I am not so sure.

For future reference, link below is a good article on challenging authenticity.

http://disputeresolutionblog.practic...s-in-evidence/
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X