• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Costs when a court adjourns your hearing at no notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costs when a court adjourns your hearing at no notice

Hi,

I'm new here. I was due to have a permission to appeal hearing last week only to arrive at court and learn it was adjourned. They sent a letter out over the weekend which only got to me when I arrived home that day of the hearing. So I have now incurred extra costs of the counsel. When I asked the court why there was an adjournment I was told they dont know. Is there any way to recover that additional fee?

I am appealing a small claims court decision not to award me costs, no costs at all, not even court costs, etc, as a result of a claim my neighbour brought when I am the victim, only for the judge to make them withdraw it after 1.5 yrs of litigation, however the judge changed at the second hearing where costs were dealt with, and so caused this issue. How can a party just be allowed to withdraw a claim and there is no penalty at all to them? Part of my appeal is a track allocation one that the second judge didnt deal with as it was meant to be one expert needed and one hearing day. They became two experts and two hearing days.

Help .... any advice?

Hello Sunflower888,

Have you spoken to your legal counsel on what you can do to recover the costs? Unfortunately this is something that is quite an occurrence in certain courts so you were lucky to get a letter, and presumably it is dated over the weekend - no idea why they thought it was a good idea sending something out on the weekend if your hearing is on Monday!

Anyhow, I think you have two options. First of all, put a formal complaint to the court in question and explain the situation in as far as you not being given any advance warning of the adjournment which resulted in wasted costs to yourself (including cost of travel if applicable). You should send them evidence such as a copy of the invoice or other receipts, maybe a wasted annual holiday?

If they fail to respond or acknowledge then you should consider writing to your local MP and asking them to refer the complaint to the Parliamentary Ombudsman. They will have the power to investigate HMCTS and look at the complaint and indeed, if you look at the following link there is an article that the Ombudsman awarded wasted costs against the Court for cancelling at short notice almost identical to your current issue [click for link].

Failing that, I think you would need to look at bringing a claim against the Ministry of Justice for recovery of wasted costs as a result of the adjournment. A letter before action should be sent to the Government Legal Department [click for link]. If you scroll 3/4 way down the page you will see contact details.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

If the claim was withdrawn at the last moment by the claimant, which is what appears to have happened here rather than a court error, then surely the defendant should be able to make a wasted costs claim against the claimant?

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
        If the claim was withdrawn at the last moment by the claimant, which is what appears to have happened here rather than a court error, then surely the defendant should be able to make a wasted costs claim against the claimant?
        Sorry I missed this former reply, it was not a withdrawn item. It was the courts rescheduling due to wanting to deal with a more urgent family case I understand which meant the judge was assigned to that.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X