• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Fixed Penalty Notice for Cycling - to Magistrates Court?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed Penalty Notice for Cycling - to Magistrates Court?

Hello,

I'm new to the forum so sorry if I'm in the wrong place. I was stopped in town the other day and issued a fixed penalty notice (section 67 Antisocial Behaviour Crime and Policing Act 2014) for unathorised cycling in a restricted area. The stretch of road I was in has a no cycling rule between 8am and 6pm, and it was about 2pm. So it would all seem fair and fine, except I was walking my bike, I wasn't cycling at all!

I have tried to explain this to the enforcement agency for over two weeks but they refuse to back down. It has gotten to the point now where I had put in an information request, and have now actually viewed the body cam footage from the officer. In the first three seconds of the video, it clearly shows me walking my bike before he stopped me. I almost laughed, but when I pointed this out to the agency team leader, he gave me some spiel about it being my choice, but most people who go to court lose.

Is he just bluffing? Could they have more evidence and just not show me?

So it looks like we're going to court, and I'm not too proud to admit I'm a little bit scared, I've never been to a magistrates court. So I have a couple of questions, and I'm really hoping someone can help:

1. If I am summoned to magistrates court and lose, what are the consequences likely to be? Will I get a criminal record? CCJ? £1000 fine etc? It would make the current fine (£80) seem much more palatable, but isn't that what they're preying on?

2. Are bodycam 'confessions' enough to convict me? Having seen the footage back, I was pretty effing stupid with some of my answers. For example he asked "do you know why i stopped you?", and I answered "I think i have an idea..." Then he says "you were cycling just up there" and i answer "...yea..."

My answers are probably just vague enough to be interpreted in several ways, but what I meant was "yes I was cycling up there... on the previous road... where cycling is allowed..." Alas that's not what I said, i said .... yea....

Has anyone been through this sort of thing and can help me out?

Many thanks,

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X