• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rlp primark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rlp primark

Hi all,

I'm a 15 year old and I've recently been caught shoplifting from Primark. This is my first offence. Obviously I'm extremely ashamed and I do not understand in my self why I did it as I do not struggle for money and come from a good family, so it is not something that i have been taught or encouraged to do.

I was by myself and the items totalled £28. They were all returned as soon as I was caught by the guard so nothing was taken from the premises. I was then taken to a room in the back of the shop. Due to the fact it was my first offence and the fact that I am a minor they were unable to call the police and instead I was banned from the shop and my sister (she is over 18) came to pick me up.

Only when my sister arrived did they mention I would be receiving a letter from RLP with a fine.

i am extremely nervous for this letter to arrive as I do not know the cost of the fine. Like I mentioned before what I took was under £30 but I have read stories where people have been charged £200 for that amount.

Do I need to reply to these letters? Due to my age will I still have court action taken against me? If I don't pay the fine can I then get into trouble for that?

As you have probably guessed I'm a very scared teenager and it's not in my character to do this. I hope somebody has some answers.

thank you all.
    Tags: primark, rlp

Good Morning

Please try not to worry. The police weren't involved and the store has the goods you attempted to take back, you didn't leave the premises and you've had a ticking off and hopefully enough of a shock so that it's not something you will consider doing again.

The letter you will receive from RLP (retail loss prevention) contains an invoice, not a fine. The letters sound quite scary ( read the letters The Scary Letters.... RLP and DWF ) and the invoice is likely to be £130 to £200. You CAN IGNORE IT. Do not contact them. There will be 5/6 letters, then they pass to debt collectors who send a couple more. Then that should be that. We haven't seen an RLP client take a shoplifter to court for many years. Especially over a minimal amount when the goods were recovered. As you are under 18 they may threaten to write to your parents - believing this will get them payment quicker. Obviously it is entirely up to you if you'd rather pay so you don't get more letters etc, but in our experience, and read across other threads in this forum, beyond nasty letters, nothing happens.

I'm sure others will post too.

Sharon
    xx

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Relax they are not allowed to fine anybody only a court could do that, RLP retail loss prevention can be ignored i.e.:- they will send about 6 begging letters and threats before they go away, they tried court once and got thrashed, you owe them NOTHING! one day they will no doubt be sorted out by regulators? lesson is keep hands in pocket! does your parent know as they need to be told to ignore these RLP letters, read other RLP threads on here.

Comment

Don't know your circumstances, but would strongly suggest you confide in your parents.
        You might find this difficult and your parents will possibly be a little disappointed, but I would hope they will support you.

RLP are going to write scary letters to you (you can read those in that link from Amethyst), and probably will also write to your parents.
        They shouldn't, but they pretend they are concerned for your welfare (and incidentally please pay our charges for doing nothing)
        You might find it useful to refer your parents to this thread

Whilst not condoning shoplifting, neither do I condone the actions of firms like RLP who set themselves up in judgement and try to justify their extortion using legal terminology.
        We have justice systems in this country and RLP are not part of them, they are solely self appointed vigilantes.

Please try and ignore them as contacting them only encourages them to redouble their efforts.
        Put the incident behind you and get on with that school work!

Comment

Thanks for all your help. I feel much calmer now I know these things. I plan on telling my parents but I'm not sure when. Does anybody know how long the letters take before they start arriving?

Comment

There seems to be no pattern, sometimes days, other times weeks.
            It depends on how quickly the retailer reports to RLP, and on how busy RLP are.
            At this time of the year there is probably a blizzard of incidents, so might be a few weeks before you hear.

Put it behind you and have a good Christmas

Comment

Hello gd morning....
              I went to Primark. I bought one t-shirt. After that I kept that t-shirt at home and went to Primark the next day. I had the receipt from the same t-shirt from Primark. so I took again same t-shirt from Primark and When I tried to take the return money from it, I was caught by Primak security. Nd now I got 330 pound of fine what should I do can you please help me about that this is not small think which I did but what can I do now I really don't have money Nd I'm student please help me about that also they told me I have to pay in 21 day
              ​​​​​​

Comment

You ignore the demand for money
                It is NOT A FINE, it is an invoice with no legal basis

Comment

Ok thanks for your help

Comment

Hello I have been told u will receive a RPl for a shoplifting in primark . It was something never done before I had already purchased stuff and suddenly the bad side took over me I believe . They took my passport number and address. Told me the police will not involved but I need to pay the rpl what should I do ? I’m never ever been in this Situation and I feel disgusting about myself and completely scared .. what steps should I take ? And what to do if I ignore rlps and debt collectors send me letters what to do then ? Amount of shoplifting was one sweater worth 14 pounds but it was taken and I didn’t leave the store with it. Please please me please. I feel ashamed of myself.

Comment

Do not pay these speculative invoice

Comment

I would just ignore any demands from RLP and debt collectors, and not respond to them in any way at all.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X