• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caught shoplifting in Asda..so scared

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught shoplifting in Asda..so scared

Hi
    please don’t judge me. I am so worried. Last week I was caught on cctv leaving Asda with a trolley containing groceries. I was identified by my car registration.
    The police have been called and they’ve arranged to come to my home tomorrow afternoon to sort things. I’ve been under a lot of stress lately I’ve got a lot going on and suffering from panic attacks. I don’t even remember being at the store but I guess I was. I don’t know what goods I had I’m guessing it was just food cat litter etc.
    Should I put my hands up, is it likely I will be prosecuted? I have the money to pay for whatever they say I took.
    Tags: None

I’ve never done anything like this before, I’ve been so stupid.

Comment

no recollection ? driving a car? or were you driven there?

Comment

Hi and welcome.

first thing to do is cancel that voluntary chat with the police to sort things out.
        There is no such thing as a nice chat over a cuppa with the police when you are a suspect.
        You have a right to free independent legal advice and you are well advised to request the interview is carried out in the police station with the duty solicitor present.
        His presence is free if you haven't got your own solicitor.
        If the police arrest or caution you, they must advise you of your right.
        If it's a voluntary chat no such advice is required , but it is still important you have that assistance.

Second point is if you are under some sort of stress or strain and suffer panic attacks, see your doctor asap and get a letter confirming your condition.
        If you are already on medication, this may have affected your behaviour.

Likelihood of prosecution...difficult to say without a lot more detail of the circumstances, amount involved, your condition.
        Hence get the right support now

Comment

I shop there a lot like a couple of times a week and I will have driven myself. Just had lots of things going on lately and can’t pinpoint the exact time I was there. I think I’ve been on autopilot and just left.

Comment

I did speak to a solicitor on Friday. He spoke to the officer involved. He advised me to just say it was an honest mistake and put my hands up to it.
            it was an amount less than £100 I think.

Comment

Well it will probably be dealt with by an out of court disposal.
              If you agree to accept a caution bear in mind that it will show on a DBS check

If it should be followed by prosecution, that should be dealt with by a postal plea and no court appearance.

good luck

Comment

Thank you for your reply. The solicitor I spoke to said that there’s a likelihood of it being dealt with by a community resolution order..but I’m worried in case it is a caution because of it going on my record as you said. I’m a healthcare student and it would ruin my career I guess. My sister is a solicitor but I’m too ashamed to tell her. The other solicitor isn’t answering his phone. I’ve called the doctor about my panic attacks. I’m so worried about this interview later.

Comment

Should I offer to pay for the stuff. Or give it back?

Comment

In your position I would be offering to pay for the items, as it was not your intention to steal.
                    Without an intention there can be no crime.
                    If you agree to a community resolution order, be aware that could show on an enhanced DBS check.
                    If it is important that you keep your record completely clear you might like to revise the advice given by your solicitor and only attend an interview accompanied by a solicitor.
                    It might be possible, with support from your doctor about your current mental state, together with the help of a solicitor, for the police to take no further action.

Comment

I think what I will do is speak to the policeman and say that I will pay for the goods and express my apologies and take it from there. I have an appointment with my doctor this afternoon so I’ll tell him about that too. I’ve never done anything like this before so I hope that will go in my favour.
                      I can’t deny it cos it has happened I can only say it wasn’t my intention to steal.
                      Thanks so much for replying.

Comment

good luck

Comment

Hi op is there an update xx

Comment

Salem83
                            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X