• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shoplifting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoplifting

If I pay penalties for shoplifting then they can inform to police
    Tags: None

Penalties ? Who has asked you to pay penalties ?

The police can issue a fixed penalty notice for shoplifting offences.

The store- nor a third party civil recovery firm like RLP or DWF cannot.

Do you want to give a bit more detail on what the situation is.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi and welcome

Guessing you have been stopped by security in a shop and accused of shoplifting.
      Only a small value item involved and police were not called.
      You were told that you would receive a letter either "fining " you or demanding you pay a penalty.
      You may by now have received a letter from a firm like Retail Loss Prevention or DWF, sounding very legal and requesting some extortionate amount for imagined and fanciful losses.

If that is the scenario just ignore the letter, and any others that will follow.
      They are just speculative invoices which threaten, in the hope you will pay them

Just ignore

Comment

Thanks. How would it impact someone who is on a work visa in the UK? Will it be an issue when going for visa extension in near future ( less than a year?)

Comment

Also, I have exactly similar situation as you explained above. Police was not called. But they took a copy of my ID card and address proof. Also told me I would be receiving a fine soon and I will have to pay it. I am ready to pay but will it be part of my police criminal database? Will it reflect in criminal history checks ?

Comment

Police not called...so no criminal record and not on any official database. Will not impact your work visa.

You will not receive a fine.
            In the UK only the courts issue fines, and that after a trial.
            What you will receive will be a letter requesting a sum of money .
            The letter will be written in very legalistic language and is designed to frighten you into paying the demand.
            You should ignore that letter, and all the following letters they will send you.
            Their threats about court are purely that.
            It is all hot air and nothing else.
            Just ignore and get on with your life

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X