• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Worried about RLPFine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried about RLPFine

I stole a hair dye from Superdrug am mortified.I had already made a purchase and couldn't be bothered queuing again . I'm full of remorse and shame. I was taken into the office where I gave my details no police attended . I was told that I will receive a fine and if I didn't pay it the police would be involved . I spoke to a solicitor online who said that potentially the shop could inform the police . The shop said the fine would be £150 and if ignored it would make matters worse . Should I pay immediately I I receive it ?
    Tags: None

Hi and welcome

NO, you should pay nothing.
    Firstly, it is not a fine. Only the courts issue fines. this will be a speculative demand for money backed by veiled threats of legal action.
    The letters will be couched in legalese language designed to frighten you into paying them.
    The demands are unwarranted and would not stand up in court.
    The last time one of these (un)civil recovery firms tried a court action they lost heavily, so they no longer issue a court claim.

Technically the police could be informed, but they won't be.

Just ignore all the letters you will get from RLP

Comment

Thanks for your reply.The manager at Superdrug told me in no uncertain terms that if I didn't pay they would involve the police and it would be a bad idea to try toal appeal.My concern isnt about the fine as I feel guilty enough to pay but police involvement or a debt collecter knocking on my door.It may be a Superdrug policy to refer to the police if the fine is not paid.I do not want my family to know about this as I feel so ashamed

Comment

Only a Magistrate can fine persons, the rest are sopeculative invoices ( fraud by any other word) s

Comment

The debt collectors will not be knocking on the door as there is no debt to collect.

Comment

I have been persuaded. These attempts at extracting money are outrageous.

Comment

Originally posted by Worried 55 View Post
              Thanks for your reply.The manager at Superdrug told me in no uncertain terms that if I didn't pay they would involve the police and it would be a bad idea to try toal appeal.My concern isnt about the fine as I feel guilty enough to pay but police involvement or a debt collecter knocking on my door.It may be a Superdrug policy to refer to the police if the fine is not paid.I do not want my family to know about this as I feel so ashamed
              The manager was lying through his teeth and trying to frighten you.
              Retail organisations do not issue court claims for shoplifting.
              They will not involve the police if you don't pay their extortionate demands, as it will be too late and the evidence has disappeared and the police will not be interested in low level shoplifting six months after the event

Just ignore them

Comment

Originally posted by 2222 View Post
                I have been persuaded. These attempts at extracting money are outrageous.
                Good to hear it.

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Do the rlp notify Superdrug that you havent paid ? I read i n an earlier post that a debt collecter called at someones house which was alarming !! The store manager was very convincing.I thought if rlp contacted the store they may comtact the police.I was very stupid and just want to make it go away

Comment

These companies work on the basis of frightening people into paying their extortionate claims, which have no foundation.
                    The company lost nothing and is entitled to nothing.
                    The law will give them nothing.
                    So the store pass your details to RLP who try and obtain about £150 from each of their victims by sending a few template letters.
                    Their costs are tiny, so it only needs a few victims to pay to make a profit.
                    They aren't going to spend money hiring solicitors and going to court when they know a robust defence will win them nothing.

RLP sometimes pass details to debt collectors, who write a couple of letters using their red crayon, but I have not heard of the DCA making house calls. If it should happen tell them politely to go forth and multiply!

Any money they do receive I have been told is typically split 40%rlp 60%retailer

Comment

I know that I am panicking but I'm so ashamed and am considering paying the fine out of guilt .The store manager was adamant that they will inform the police if I don't pay even the slightest chance of police involvement terrifies me.If I pay can I guarntee this would be the end of it.The store manager was horrible (rightly so) and I believe they will involve the police.I'm sorry that I'm rambling on but am really suffering and just want it to end.I don't want this to drag on for years as paying the fine seems an easier option than what I'm going through.I could be the one that they make an example of .I was wearing work I'd so they could inform my employer they also have my no number.I didn't sign anything but they said they would call the police if I could not provide I'd which I did.They threatned me with the police thought the interview

Comment

nnooooooooooooooo goodness sake they are going to do nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get on with your life the Police were not called - end of please try and relax, if you want to pay the NON FINE (only a magistrate could fine you) then give it to a charity for good use not some hobnob in the Bahamas (fraudster) get my drift.

Comment

Thanks for your reply you probably think I'm a drama queen.I'm not usually. I've confessed to my husband who thinks I've been really stupid and can't understand why I did it -I agree.Just to be clear they can't contact my employer? Will my photo be on a public wall of shame ?I will obviously not return to Superdrug as they said that they would call the police as I will be trespassing . My husband has told me not to pay .I'm really grateful for your replies and sorry that I'm being a pain

Comment

If the police wern't called at the time then they will not be interested no. It's only a small amount, they are not interested. You have not been to court, there is no debt as nobody has lost anything so there will be no debt collectors calling, only some scary letters. The store manager will not be told if you pay or not.

Your photo should not be on a public wall of shame. DOing so would probably give them some problems.

Comment

suggest a use in emergency for any letters (make sure print down)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X