• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Homeserve Gas Boiler Cover

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeserve Gas Boiler Cover

Need advice on Homeserve Gas Boiler Cover terms and conditions.

On summery of cover Homeserve has deliberately omitted vital part of the following terms to mis lead the customers.

1. sludge/scale/rust within the boiler or damage caused by any other chemical composition of the water;
    2. frozen pipes within the boiler which have not resulted in a leak or permanent blockage;

Please need advice.

http://partner.homeserve.com/~/media/policy-documents/gas-boiler-breakdown-cover-flexi/soc-HSIGBBP-HS1479L.pdf

Summary of Cover

Gas Boiler Breakdown Cover with excess
    This policy meets the needs of homeowners requiring assistance in the event of a
    breakdown of their boiler at their property.
    A summary of the main benefits and exclusions under the policy is set out below.
    For a full description of what is and what is not covered, please see the policy terms and conditions
    Examples of what is covered Gas Boiler Breakdown

ü A leak within or breakdown of the ‘natural gas’ gas central heating boiler

ü Replacement of the heat exchanger

ü Inability to control the temperature or timings of your boiler

Examples of what is not covered

× Repairs to boilers which have been declared beyond economical repair (i.e. if the cost of parts inc. VAT is more than 85% of the retail price of the boiler).

× Repairs, where due to obsolete parts, we can no longer cover you (your policy will have been cancelled)

× Any part of the domestic gas central heating system (such as the hot water cylinder, radiators and cold water tank);

× Repairs if we have advised you to carry out maintenance work to prevent a future breakdown (until that work is complete)

http://partner.homeserve.com/~/media...BP-HS1479L.pdf

B. POLICY COVERAGE

What is covered?
    A leak within or breakdown of your boiler. Claims will be dealt with by a Gas Safe registered engineer who will repair or replace the relevant part or parts of your boiler.
    Examples of claims covered

ü A breakdown of the boiler

ü Replace heat exchanger

ü Replace boiler zone valve

ü Repair motorised valves

ü Unable to control temperature or timings of your boiler

What isn’t covered?
    (see also the General Exclusions)

a) repairing a boiler or any part of it, which is BER;

b) any part of the domestic gas central heating system (such as the hot
    water cylinder, radiators and cold water tank, its feed and outlet) other
    than the boiler;

c) separate gas heaters providing hot water;

d) LPG gas/oil systems;

e) dual purpose boilers (e.g Aga, Rayburn);

f) warm air heating systems;

g) sludge/scale/rust within the boiler or damage caused by any other

chemical composition of the water;

h) any other gas appliance (with the exception of gas fires forming part of a
    back boiler);

i) a breakdown when an engineer has previously identified that remedial /
    maintenance work is required to prevent a future breakdown;

j) any part of the boiler which is not possible for the engineer to work on
    safely;

k) parts of the boiler where it is impossible or impractical to access because
    of its position such as the boiler is inaccessible due to the installation of
    fitted units;

l) frozen pipes within the boiler which have not resulted in a leak or

permanent blockage;

m) boilers which are still working, but you suspect may be about to
    breakdown (such as a noise has developed);

n) adjustment of timing and temperature controls;

o) any defect or failing which may be attributed to the design of the boiler.
    Tags: None

Re: Homeserve Gas Boiler Cover

Are you having problems with these ?

Bit worried because I have just swapped from BG
    Last edited by andy58; 23rd February 2015, 21:27:PM.

Comment

Like all these policies, including BG's, they will give you the impression that you are covered for a lot but you are totally at their mercy and technical answers when it comes to their decision whether you are covered. The terms you have highlighted, what do you feel has been omitted? As an heating engineer those two terms could mean that they would not be liable if they say the problems were caused by poor quality water or that the boiler had frozen because it hadn't been working or protected from freezing. If you had a disagreement about any decisions based on these exclusions you would have to prove you are correct. In my experience you would be better off putting the insurance money somewhere you cannot touch it unless you have to especially if it is insurance only and not a service agreement. At least with a service agreement you could argue that regular maintenance was down to them so water quality and operational duties should be assessed within maintenance remit.

Comment

Presumably you have a problem caused by sludge or rust within the boiler, and have been told it's not covered.

Have you had your boiler serviced regularly, including flushing and removal of contaminants from the boiler?
        Some service contracts will include this, but others (?BG) have it as an optional extra.
        BG say "maintenance work can include circumstances where there is a build up ofsludge/scale/rust resulting in your boiler needing cleaning. As this maintenance work is not covered under this policy, it is your responsibility to have itcompleted. We will notify you and confirm by letter that this work needs to be completed"
        Did BG advise this was required?
        If they did so advise, and you didn't have the work done I don't see a claim succeeding.
        If you have had your boiler serviced regularly by BG and they failed to warn you that the boiler had a build up of sludge etc, and it subsequently failed, you MAY have a case against BG for not carrying out their servicing to a sufficiently high standard.

IMO you would not have a claim against the insurers on the basis that the summary did not include full details.
        It is a very abbreviated summary with advice to read the full wording, and it clearly states "examples" of what is and is not covered. One would not expect every possible scenario to be listed under "examples".

I was writing above before reading Mellis' post, and agree that these breakdown policies aren't worth the paper they are written on, and that's an insurance viewpoint

Comment

Hi,

We would like to answer any of your queries or concerns you have. Please email us at heretohelp@homeserve.com with your details we can look into this for you.

Kind Regards,

Anjali
          Here To Help Team
          HomeServe
          I am an official company representative of Home Serve UK. LegalBEAGLES has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help resolve issues.

This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by LegalBEAGLES.

Comment

Hi Anji, many thanks for responding to Mohmunir. I have emailed you regarding posting on the Legal Beagles forum, could you please check your emails and respond to me there before posting further.
            [MENTION=62233]mohmunir[/MENTION] , can you clarify on here what the issue is and what you hope to resolve with Home Serve. It would be helpful to others if both you and Home Serve would keep this thread updated as to any outcome, either positive or negative.
            Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X