• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Serious allegations made against me, totally untrue! I need help to take this further

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious allegations made against me, totally untrue! I need help to take this further

I have received email correspondence from a Solicitor acting on behalf of their client making allegations which are ridiculous. The allegations are in my view are very serious and i want to take this further as i know for a fact there is no substance. I understand the reason for him trying to make me look bad as i am a key witness in an ongoing ligation relating to this person trying to repossess someones property and also where the police at this end have started an investigation process for fraud against his company and a financial adviser of the borrower who was found to be a great friend of this person the lender, things went very wrong!

The letter from the solicitors is below. Thanks

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxxxxx,

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx

I refer to the above.

I act on behalf of Mr xxxxxxxxxxxxx. My client has advised me that you have contacted him by email and contacted his office by telephone on a number of occasions over the past few months. The tone of your emails and phonecalls has been threatening and our client regards your conduct as harassment. In addition, I am advised that you have given my client’s details to numerous pay day lenders and fraudulently used his personal details to sign him up for pay day lending facilities.

You must cease and desist said harassment and criminal conduct immediately. My client has kept a record of all communications by you and engineered by you and intends to report all matters to the Police.

Yours sincerely,
    Tags: None

Re: Serious allegations made against me, totally untrue! I need help to take this fur

His solicitor will not be the slightest bit interested in the story from your side. He's not a judge.
    Ignore the alleged lies in the letter and make no contact with him or his.solicitor.

Where did you intend to take this matter?

As a matter of interest are you sure the email has come from a genuine solicitor? I would have expected initial contact to have been via snail mail, but then what do I know!

Comment

Re: Serious allegations made against me, totally untrue! I need help to take this fur

Agree with Des - or you could write back with a short, bland and stout denial (if the claims are untrue) along the lines of

"since the allegations in your email have no foundation there is nothing from which to cease or desist".

Or somesuch. Just a suggestion. x

Comment

Originally posted by cul8rm8e View Post
        I have received email correspondence from a Solicitor acting on behalf of their client making allegations which are ridiculous. The allegations are in my view are very serious and i want to take this further as i know for a fact there is no substance. I understand the reason for him trying to make me look bad as i am a key witness in an ongoing ligation relating to this person trying to repossess someones property and also where the police at this end have started an investigation process for fraud against his company and a financial adviser of the borrower who was found to be a great friend of this person the lender, things went very wrong!

The letter from the solicitors is below. Thanks

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxxxxx,

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx

I refer to the above.

I act on behalf of Mr xxxxxxxxxxxxx. My client has advised me that you have contacted him by email and contacted his office by telephone on a number of occasions over the past few months. The tone of your emails and phonecalls has been threatening and our client regards your conduct as harassment. In addition, I am advised that you have given my client’s details to numerous pay day lenders and fraudulently used his personal details to sign him up for pay day lending facilities.

You must cease and desist said harassment and criminal conduct immediately. My client has kept a record of all communications by you and engineered by you and intends to report all matters to the Police.

Yours sincerely,

If you are a key witness in a fraud investigation being conducted by the police then it would appear that the solicitor is assisting the 'friend' in interfering with an on-going investigation and possibly attempting to intimidate that said witness!

Report this to the police officer investigating the fraud case.

Comment

As a former policeman, I have to agree with MissFM's advice. You need to notify the senior investigating officer in the case at the earliest possible opportunity. On no account respond to the letter from the solicitor. My gut-instinct is that the person who is the subject of the investigation has just made things a whole lot worse for themselves.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by IanM View Post
            If you are a key witness in a fraud investigation being conducted by the police then it would appear that the solicitor is assisting the 'friend' in interfering with an on-going investigation and possibly attempting to intimidate that said witness!

Report this to the police officer investigating the fraud case.

I agree wholeheartedly Report this to the police If untrue, they are trying to question your character in a bid to pervert the course of justice. The solicitor could be in deep doo! doo! particularly if he helped facilitate the alleged scam

Comment

Originally posted by righty View Post
              I agree wholeheartedly Report this to the police If untrue, they are trying to question your character in a bid to pervert the course of justice. The solicitor could be in deep doo! doo! particularly if he helped facilitate the alleged scam
              Too right it will! Being struck-off is going to be the least of his worries.

Comment

Yup! it would be so serious if proven a prison sentence could ensue AND the cops won't be happy one bit that there's been an attempt to intimidate a witness

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                  His solicitor will not be the slightest bit interested in the story from your side. He's not a judge.
                  Ignore the alleged lies in the letter and make no contact with him or his.solicitor.

Where did you intend to take this matter?

As a matter of interest are you sure the email has come from a genuine solicitor? I would have expected initial contact to have been via snail mail, but then what do I know!

I think if i am being accused of what looks like some sort of ID fraud then i would certainly like him to back up his allegations, something i know for a fact he cant. being accused of things you havent done is not something i want to be seen to sit back and accept, I think any normal person would want to challenge this, yes?

The email came from the solicitors with all their details on the heading which i have removed.
                  Last edited by cul8rm8e; 24th August 2014, 00:26:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by righty View Post
                    Without saying too much at the moment, there is a current complaint in against that solicitor that produced the email which is being dealt with, currently awaiting a decision on a full investigation which i believe will go ahead. I dont know if the solicitor email is something i should also forward onto the complaints commission.

What i would really like to know is, if he simply told the solicitor i had done something, can the solicitor act on that and write to me or do they have to hold proof at hand to back up his allegations before writing that type of letter. I am thinking if they have to have something in writing from their client then it is obvious that false documents/information has already been created and i intend to do everything to get them. I am thinking that you cant just go to a solicitor and tell them anything and expect a solicitor to write such a letter on their behalf.

If i were to know that someone had used my identity fraudulently and or threatened me over the phone or in writing, i would be straight to the police, not only is it the right people to contact but its free, so why would you pay a solicitor money to write a letter stating your allegations.
                    Last edited by cul8rm8e; 24th August 2014, 01:45:AM.

Comment

Hi,
                      A solicitor would only write about allegations against you.
                      He would be foolish to accuse you of illegalities if he had no proof.
                      I would tend to agree with Des8 (yes) that a genuine first contact from a solicitor, would have been by way of a written letter sent by post.
                      My advice other than contact with the police, would be to do nothing at this stage.
                      They are just allegations in an email, and the solicitor, if genuine, is not at liberty to disclose anything to you without the order of a court.
                      I think it's a scam, so say nothing, give whoever is corresponding with you enough rope. And they will no doubt, hang themselves.
                      “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Don't mess around wondering this or that, go to the cops NOW & they'll sort it.......hopefully. Also you will have a record that you could produce in court showing that you have disputed their allegations

Comment

If this is an attempt to pervert the course of justice by attempting to intimidate you it is so crude as to be laughable.
                          It does seem to have wound you up however.
                          I would still ignore it, you don't have to dispute these allegations, as that is all they are between a client and his "solicitor".
                          If they were to be made public, and there is no substance in them, it would be a different matter.
                          You say there is a current complaint about that solicitor which is being investigated? What is that complaint, to whom was it made, who is investigating it and how do you know about it? Are you involved in it?

I think there might be more to this than we are hearing, but with the present information IMO you should just ignore.

Comment

I agree with (nearly) all of the above excellent counsel.

However, if it were me, I would (rightly or wrongly) feel the need to send a reply saying that the allegations are unfounded and, in view of the content and it's defamatory nature, the correspondence (and any subsequent correspondence in that vein) will be forwarded both to the investigating police officer and to the SRA. (And, of course, do it)

The reason I would do this is partially because courts would appear to rely on paper trails almost more than any other evidence and an accusation such as the above, if not expressly contested in writing, could be taken as tacitly admitted when it comes to court.

Which is not to say that a letter tennis match should be opened - obviously a statement that any further similar correspondence will also be put in the hands of the investigating authorities would stymie this.

What is the reason many of you are so adamant that the OP should on no account respond to the accusations in writing? (I genuinely don't understand where the harm could be, although I can see harm if he doesn't respond unequivocally) - this is, btw, a question not a bolshy argumentative statement :confused2:

Comment

My gut-instinct is to hand the correspondence to the investigating officer asap. Do not enter into any correspondence with this solicitor. The reason why this should be done is due to the OP's status as a witness in an ongoing investigation. The nature of the correspondence received would tend to indicate witness intimidation or discrediting of a witness. Either way, that is Attempting to Pervert the Course of Justice which is and should be taken seriously.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X