• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Defendant made an application to remove a default judgment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defendant made an application to remove a default judgment

Hi,

I am just wondering - the defendant made this application after default was sealed against them. They sent their defence to the wrong email, but made the application in good time.

They have a hearing now set and have paid the hearing fee.

They are asking me persistently whether I oppose or not the application. I am aware there are costs implications if I oppose, and they win, though the hearing must go ahead anyway as it is in tandem with another application of theirs asking for summary judgment in their favour.

This comes after an initial hearing on both applications, which saw the judge bemoan how the defendant has only asked for a 45 minute hearing yet stated elsewhere 2 hours was necessary, and had not sorted the matter out before the actual hearing - leading to a forced adjournment - wasting everyones time. The Judge has ordered that costs of the applications will be awarded to whomever wins/loses at the next longer hearing.

I am confident their app for summary judgment will fail and I will be awarded my costs i.e. time spent attending on both hearings.

I might be shooting myself in the foot if I therefore oppose the first app to remove the default, and wonder if I should just tell them in answer to their questions that this one is not opposed. I expect they will be successful in this application anyway.

Any thoughts would be welcome. Really, just want to know whether there's anything I am not considering, and whether I can wait until the hearing to oppose the application or not.

Thanks.
    Tags: None

Have you seen the application to set the judgement aside, and the supporting statement on behalf of the defendant?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Yes.

Comment

I would oppose the application for summary judgement (plus seek costs) and consent to the set aside application on caveat that for that application parties bear their own costs as it was not your fault they filed to the wrong email address.

Your argument is that you should not be penalised for their usage of the wrong email address and had they asked you for consent to set aside that judgement you'd have given it to allow them to pay the lesser fee. It is for them to bear their own costs of their mistakes.
        COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X