• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Scammed on facebook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scammed on facebook

Hi Lack of diligence or getting old,but I recently got scammed on Facebook market place.
    An item advertised I paid for by bank transfer.A private seller,the item never arrived
    Obviously I've contacted my bank who are dealing with the matter.My question is how do I stand with Facebook.Can I pursue them for compensation for somebody using their platform to defraud people.

Thanks

Ian
    Tags: None

It's really down to what evidence you have and did you follow the guidance Facebook gives..

Google - Report a Facebook Market Place Scam

Google - Purchase Protection on Facebook

Comment

I haven't read Facebook's terms and conditions for Marketplace, but I would be very surprised if by agreeing to them you are agreeing that they are not liable for losses such as this in any way.

Personally I don't know why you think Facebook are at fault? How are they supposed to know in advance that a seller will take your money and not send an item?
      COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

How Purchase Protection works on Facebook

Many purchases made with checkout on Facebook are covered by our Purchase Protection Policies. Purchases made through third-party sites, local pick-ups, Messenger transactions, or through other messaging services don't qualify for Purchase Protection.
        Purchase Protection is free, and automatically covers eligible orders. Purchase Protection means that you can request a refund if:
        • You didn't receive your order.
        • The product arrived damaged or different from described on the listing (e.g. the condition isn't accurate).
        • The seller didn't follow their stated refund policy.
        • The purchase was unauthorised.
        • The seller has been removed from Facebook.
        In reviewing your claim, Facebook may review order details, including tracking information and listing description, messages sent between you and the seller, and supporting documents.
        Goodwill refunds are at Facebook's discretion. If Facebook approves your Purchase Protection claim, you'll get a refund for the full purchase price of the product and any delivery costs. You can see full policy details in the Purchase Protection Policy.
        How do I file a Purchase Protection claim?
        How do refunds work with Purchase Protection?
        Which transactions and types of items are covered by Purchase Protection?
        Why does Purchase Protection only cover purchases made with checkout?
        What policies apply to sellers who offer delivery and checkout on Facebook?

Comment

I think Facebook are paying scant regard to the problem of scammers.Anybody can set up an account and start ripping people off,it stinks.Their site their responsibility.How do I stand legally

Comment

Have you had any communication with FB about this?
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Not yet,it's hard finding any body to contact in face book.

Comment

Originally posted by plasticpen View Post
                Not yet,it's hard finding any body to contact in face book.
                Post 4, click on the blue bits in the text.

Comment

Tried all the procedures,but it's like trying to get hold of god.
                  I'm going to try ringing them in the states

Comment

Start by setting out the basis for EBay's libility.
                    Does: - "I think Facebook are paying scant regard to the problem of scammers.Anybody can set up an account and start ripping people off,it stinks.Their site their responsibility.How do I stand legally" reflect any basis of liability at law?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X