• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Faulty 2nd Hand Car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty 2nd Hand Car

Hello everyone

My daughter has bought her first used car last Friday from a local dealer and when we got it home we saw it was leaking a lot of water onto the drive. We informed the trader and I also had a family member who's a mechanic take a look. The family member is positive it's a blown head gasket and having researched myself I am too. There are a couple of other minor issues and the MOT is valid for four months less than they said.

The dealer arranged for the car to be looked at and my wife returned it on Monday. Thursday of this week they said they had repaired it and we went and collected it. Today I've taken it to the family member again and water was leaking from the same place as before but not as much and it's still overheating.

As our daughter is away my wife has text the dealer this afternoon, listed all the faults and to inform them that she would like a refund under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. The dealer text back saying that the fault wasn't present when they had the vehicle and waffled on about using an unfamiliar mechanic before saying he will talk to the business owner. As far as we know he is the owner.

She has all the texts between herself and the dealer on her phone. I have videos showing the engine overheating and leaking water. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them and I'm sure at this point that the legal route will need to be pursued.

My question at this point is should I send them an email or is the text message my wife sent sufficient for now? Also as our daughter bought the car should we wait until she comes home on Monday before having her send the emails etc?

Thanks for reading
    Tags: None

Hi KW1978

How did your daughter pay for the car?

Your daughter needs to send the following template, send it Recorded Delivery.

Template letter - Refund for faulty car - Author Portal

Comment

Thank you. Unfortunately it was paid via bank transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by KW1978 View Post
        Thank you. Unfortunately it was paid via bank transfer.
        Always best to pay by Credit Card.

Update the thread for more input.

Comment

Thanks for the template I have filled it in but need to wait for my daughter to return on Monday to sign it. I never pay for anything via bank transfer personally but unfortunately I didn't have much input in this case. I will stress this to both my kids now.

On the plus side the owner has responded this morning and said the refund will be issued Monday if the car is returned so hopefully that will be the end of it although I'm not convinced.

Thanks again for the advice so far.

Comment

Hopefully he will keep to his word. If not update the thread.

Comment

Well eventually we had to send him that letter. He became quite evasive yesterday saying he would be at his yard and then not. Not really sure why he needed to be there to transfer the money. But after some relentless badgering by wife today we managed to get the money refunded in full.

Comment

Originally posted by KW1978 View Post
                Well eventually we had to send him that letter. He became quite evasive yesterday saying he would be at his yard and then not. Not really sure why he needed to be there to transfer the money. But after some relentless badgering by wife today we managed to get the money refunded in full.
                Well done, good result.

(Advise daughter to use Credit Card next time, she then gets Section 75 Protection).

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

Well done, good result.

(Advise daughter to use Credit Card next time, she then gets Section 75 Protection).
                  I understand that there are used car dealers who do not accept credit cards for that very reason and insist on payment by bank transfer instead. A reason sometimes given is that it “costs the dealer more” to process the card payment and the “punter” is often none the wiser.

Comment

Originally posted by Huxie View Post

I understand that there are used car dealers who do not accept credit cards for that very reason and insist on payment by bank transfer instead. A reason sometimes given is that it “costs the dealer more” to process the card payment and the “punter” is often none the wiser.

True, but they should have the facility to carry out a Credit Card transaction, the transaction costs are minimal. They should want to offer the customer the maximum protection if the car if 'good'.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X