• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Question about 'fit for purpose'

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question about 'fit for purpose'

    We bought a range cooker last Sept, and in November reported that one of the ovens was not being regulated by the thermostat and was overheating.
    The supplier referred me to their warranty company who insisted that before they would accept a claim I should supply them with the gas safe certificate for installation because although the fault was with the electric oven the hob is gas.
    I could not obtain a certificate from the installer (he seemed to have gone out of business just after installing the unit but before issuing the certificate) and as we only needed the one oven I let it be.
    Six months later (nine months after purchase, the second oven has developed the same fault so we now have no oven.

    On contacting the supplier they once again referred me to the warranty company who are still insisting that they will not send out an engineer to an oven with no certificate as it could be 'unsafe'.

    I am told that they cannot adopt this stance and that I should make a claim through the small claims court on the basis that the oven is 'unfit for purpose' under the Consumer rights act.

    I would be interested in the views of anyone here who may have experience in this area.
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Hi PEWE

    Basically they need proof that the gas cooker installation was carried out by a Gas Safe engineer, failing that you need to provide a Gas Safe Certificate. I had a similar situation. New laws meant that gas cookers need to be installed by a Gas Safe engineer.

    a) Check the Gas Safe register, to see if the installer was Gas Safe registered, a screenshot of his previous registration and his installation receipt should be sufficient as proof.


    b) Get a Gas Safe registered installer to carry out a safety check on all gas appliances or just the cooker, whatever you deem sufficient, the cost will be 45 as a minimum. Shop around for a quote. Check they are happy to accept that.

    How did you pay for the cooker?


    View our Terms and Conditions

    LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

    If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

    If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.