• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Direct line insurance company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct line insurance company

Can an insurance company make you pay for something they think you’re liable for
    Tags: None

how long is a piece of string????? care to enlighten the situation with us>

Comment

Water from my property leaked onto the inner walls. I don’t own the property, a housing association does.

Comment

Water from my property leaked onto the inner walls of the next door neighbour. I don’t own the property, a housing association does.

Comment

what communications have you received? and reasons? still vague! ? need to get whole picture before people can advise or suggest? what direct line excuse etc? housing association comments, is your property part of housing association or private>

Comment

Property is part of housing association. Direct Line have sent letters saying I’m liable because the housing association told them that I had not informed them in time.

Comment

des8 might be able to assist?

Comment

This is worse than pulling teeth!

You live in an HA property ... .yes.
                What does your tenancy agreement say about such situations as water leaks? Exact wording please.

You experienced a water leak.
                From which pipe and how did it occur?
                When did you become aware of the leak?
                When did you notify HA?

Water seeped into your neighbours property
                Is that HA owned?
                Neighbour is insured with Direct Line who paid for repairs to his property.
                Direct Line now require reimbursement from you.

You are only liable if you were negligent
                Direct line need to prove you were legally liable for the damages caused and you were negligent in your actions. Most normal leaks are simply bad luck and not negligent.

So please tells us exactly what happened, as all the above is surmise

Comment

Apologies. When I moved in and signed on the dotted line, it was a simple tenancy agreement not very detailed. However I’ll take a look again.
                  The pipes, I don’ t know exactly where, because when the ha reps came, they brought plumbers. Three. One said it was from the kitchen sink taps. Another said it was from the hot water fill tap and changed kitchen sink drain and plug and blocked the water fill.
                  the last one said it was the boiler and it is over 8 years old. In fact they no longer have spare parts for it.
                  I was aware of the leakage when ha posted letter to me claiming they’ve been trying to contact me. This was around the early signs of the pandemic.

l Answered as soon as possible. The neighbours own their property.

Comment

So until the HA wrote to you , you had no idea that there was any problem about water leakage?

How did HA know about the problem?

"I answered as soon as possible" so how soon was that, and if there was a delay what was the reason?

Comment

As I got the letter from ha The neighbours had contacted them. Pandemic had escalated around this time

Comment

1) Had the neighbours tried to contact you directly?

2)Was the letter from HA the first you knew about a water leak?

3) How quickly did you respond to HA's letter?

Comment

The ha said the neighbour had tried to contact me several times which is a lie as we don’t get on.

The ha letter was the first I heard about a water leak.

As soon I received the ha letter.

Comment

In that case, on the basis of your responses, write to Direct Line telling them that as you were in no way negligent you have no liability to pay their costs.
                            Nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

Ok thank you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X