• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Other party paid for a counterclaim but none sent?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other party paid for a counterclaim but none sent?

Hi all,

I have a claim where the other party made a counterclaim in their Defence and then paid a Court fee to do so. However we exchanged evidence bundles a month ago, and their evidence is basically their Defence. No counterclaim or demand for money.

I called yesterday and the lady - a HR director - told me legal is not incolved in my case and that she had filed a counterclaim. She is under the lusukn that her initial counterclaim is sufficient. She was very nasty and would not listen to me.

Any advice on how this could serve me going forward with regards to claiming costs if I win?
    Tags: None

Please note that I meant to write "under the illusion" in the above post.

Comment

Often the defence and counterclaim cover the same issues - you filed a defence to the counterclaim ? Concentrate on ensuring your statements and evidence cover your claim and defence to counterclaim.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I see.
        If there is no amount claimed in their counterclaim/defence, does that mean they cannot ask for an amount at Court?

Also they mention their terms and conditions in the defence, as a cornerstone of the Defence, but there are no terms and conditions included.

Comment

The terms should be provided with the bundle.

How much was their counterclaim for?

Did you file a defence to the counterclaim?
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

There is no amount claimed by them.*

And really no kind of counterclaim at all. They clearly don't know what they are doing.*

Comment

How much court fee did they pay ?

Do you have this defence and counterclaim they entered? Might be an idea to send me a copy see what's going on.
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

They paid £25.

They ticked the counterclaim box but have not specified any amount they are seeking, leaving that part blank.

Nor have they given any reason for the counterclaim, beyond "the claim is ridiculous" and citing terms and conditions that they haven't even included on their evidence.*

Comment

Following my telling them that they cannot refer to terms and conditions they have not included in their evidence, they are now telling me that, as they've just sent said terms and conditions, albeit two months late, not to the Court, just me, and only a fortnight before the hearing, that if I contiue to trial, they'll make an application to have me pay their 1k of costs representing themselves in this matter.

Is this likely to succeed?*

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X