• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Fuel contamination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel contamination

Hi there
    I had bought fuel everyday for 2 years up until 19th September 2018 at my local Sainsbury's. RIP off Britain took on the case and disputedispite all my evidence and my repair bill of £15,427. I have tried to settle this dispute with out thinking of court but they will not take responsibility for selling me a product that wrecked my car... what direct do I go in next
    Tags: None

Rip Off Britain previous episode ( 6) @ 21 mins 20 secs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...2019-episode-6

Yours is the Freelander I assume ( well done - sorry Rip Off Britain didn't manage to twist Sainsbury's arm on compensation )
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Okay. What evidence do you have, just the report from the Garage that fixed the car ? That has been disputed by Sainsburys on the grounds you can't prove the contamination came from them?. Presumably you also have all the reports from the Garage showing that as well as the fuel system needing a clean out ( that the insurance paid out for ) it had affected the engine and turbo ? Do you have info on when the fuel filter was changed prior to the incident ? Do you have insurance report and final response from Sainsburys ?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

We have an AA report,2 garage reports where they tested the fuel, and my insurance report, we had just had an mot and service where all filters oil etc were done and it passed , 3 years of receipts showing everyday we got fuel from pump 2 or 12 at that Sainsbury's we have photographs and the fuel expert on RIP off Britain also Sainsbury's state there fuel that day was tested but it couldn't have been as I didnt actually let them no until 4 days after... even tho I'd reported it in store that day where I was given incorrect information and told to contact my own insurance company as they didnt deal with that... then when I contacted head office they said I'd been mis informed

Comment

I'm going to ask des8 as I'm not sure about the insurance angle - they paid out for cleaning of the fuel system (£5k?) however refused to pay out for the engine and turbo issues ( a further £15k?)that the garage said were directly related to the contaminated fuel.

Do you have timings for the claims ? Was it all claimed for at once or in stages ? And do you have a letter from the insurers refusing payment on the additional issues ? ( ie their reasons)

Have you obtained copies of the fuel testing reports from Sainsbury's?
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Were there any other vehicles that were damaged by fuel brought from there that day ?

Comment

I do think your have cause of action against Sainsbury, on the basis that the fuel contamination was not solely water (which could be caused by condensation in the tank) but also by chemicals.

IMO the garage also have some liability in the matter of spiralling costs.
              As experts once they had identified contaminated fuel, they should have gone on to check the engine and turbo were unaffected prior to commencing repairs.
              Presumably the insurers instructed the garage for the initial repair.

Regarding your insurers, as they had already agreed to put the matter right they should have continued with that course of action.
              The insurance policy would give the insurers the right to repair or (if repair was more than its market value) replace the vehicle or give you its cash value.
              For their own protection, before authorising the repairs they should have checked that cleaning the tank was sufficient.and no other repairs would be necessary.
              They cannot only half complete their side of the contract, and then wash their hands of the matter.

You have two ways of proceeding
              1) sue Sainsbury
              2) assuming the insurers instructed the garage, sue the insurers for performance of contract.
              The garage were the insurers agents.

Viewing the possibility of adverse court costs it might be worth complaining initially to the ombudsman, altho' I have little faith in them

Comment

This is of course sad, but that can be fixed. I have my own small lake in the courtyard. Once upon a time, children knocked over a barrel of fuel. Then I decided to remove the dirt with the help of an oil compressor. I turned to the guys: https://www.aircompressoradvice.com/...ir-compressor/ and they advised me on a compressor for this purpose.

Comment

If you want to clean purpose, then you can check different products from an online marketplace as you can check here.
                  We introduce the Best Hardwood Floors Vacuum Cleaner in 2020 reviews that will be excellent in everything that any best vacuum cleaner needs so far.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X