• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debenhams RLP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debenhams RLP

Hi Everyone,

So - I am being sued by Debenhams through RLP for a grand total of £415.

I had a breakdown recently due to a family member being seriously ill and not being able to do anything about it, I had to take time off work to cope with it and was let go as it went on for longer than they would have liked.

Sadly I don't have any money saved up due to needing to work part time and help my family out.

I was adjusting to being back on medication for manic depressive symptoms sparked off by what was happening in my life.

The thing is, the medication can trigger the symptoms in the first 2 weeks of starting a course of medication.

On this day, I was feeling so worried and stressed I had to get out of the house. I wandered into the town centre and decided to go window shopping.

Being depressed and insecure about being considered good enough for a new job, I wasn't thinking clearly and impulsively picked up some perfumes and eyeshadows as it seemed like I would be more likely to get a job if I had these things. I have never shop lifted before or since this time.

Looking back with hindsight I wish that I could have put myself back in my normal frame of mind but I couldn't and I was out there on my own.

The store staff clocked me and treated like it was there TV moment. I did not resist their intervention at all and was fully compliant. It felt like they took the opportunity to take out their personal anger on me - being physically aggressive and intimidating over the table.

Everything was given back to them in fully resaleable condition, on their own CCTV. At first they said the goods were worth £173, then £273. The police were there but thankfully I was not arrested or cautioned which I am extremely greatly for. The police officer was even hopeful they would drop it.

A week and a half later a letter has dropped through my door claiming I was arrested, that they are charging me £415 - £150 for goods that were allegedly damaged, the rest is for their 20 minutes of time they spent on being abusive to me to be honest with you (this was also on CCTV). He looked like he wanted to take swipes at me. He wouldn't even let me speak. They asked me if I had realised they had put CCTV on that department as if I had been in a thousand times before which I never have. Now it seems they want me to pay for other people's mistakes which I don't deserve to as truly I have never even bee in that store let alone taken anything from it - they would know this if they had checked their CCTV.

Does anyone know how likely it is they will send debt collectors or take me to court? As much as I would like to ignore this, the worry that they could take me to court and make it more expensive is stressful and I'm not sure I could pay the amount within 30 days to them if a judge decides it should cost me this amount or more.

I'm currently on Universal Credit, I have to wait for a while to recover before I can work again, I have £10 a week to feed myself on.

Please help - advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm also wondering if anyone knows what kind of repayment plans they would accept. I can afford about £5 a month right now until I get another job which will take at least 1-2 months.

One moment of mania... goodness me!
    Tags: None

Hi and welcome.

So you are not being sued by Debenhams or RLP or the man in the moon.
    From reading your post you it seems you have received RLP's initial letter warning you that they might do this if you don't cough up shed loads of cash.
    It is full of legalese and designed to frighten you.

Ignore it.
    Do not be tempted to acknowledge it in any way, as that seems to make them think they have you worried and will lead to an increase in pressure to pay them.
    This letter will be followed by four or five others.(you can read them here: https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...rs-rlp-and-dwf)
    All of them should be ignored.

These civil Recovery firms (there are a few of them) no longer initiate court action.
    This is because they lost a court case some years ago, and realise they will not win.

Just ignore them and get on with your life
    If you need more reassurance don't hesitate to come back here

Comment

Thank you so much for telling me this because its given me jitters.

Just wondering though - are you absolutely sure about the man in the moon? :P I haven't been wearing my tinfoil hat lately, as it's out of fashion, jk ;D

I even wrote them a letter of apology to them you know, so they fully know what has going on with me. I've was banned from the store for a year (oh well I'll get over it) but have been back to the shopping centre (no problems there) and they've started following me around outside of their shop just for the sake of being intimidating for fun, asking why I can't sell something to pay for it. They actually believe the police officer is lying to them about the medical and financial evidence he's seen, and another thing, when I had to go to hospital 3 years ago for having a breakdown they were there helping me so he's even seen the police record of that too. They're acting as if they have the right to know everything about me and my life, simply because they're not sure - and this is them 'fulfilling' their responsibilities to the store. So weird. Practically stalker behaviour.

Two or three wrongs don't make a right do they? If it was the standard £150 I would have just paid it tbh over however many months but now they've hammed it up on false pretences I fully can't and now we're on this ride.

I haven't got a TV or a games console as I only paint and read - only got a second hand laptop from 2011. I need to be able to use the internet at home for the sake of Skype to speak to my family - can't use that at the library. This has literally become a fun game for them where they casually find new ways to steal my soul. She even said to me, when I read your letter I wanted to give you a big hug and *actually* tried to touch me. I ran away at that point. Humorous. Yet creepy.

I know your saying that it won't go to court, but, seeing as its more than just £150 - are you definately sure? I just can't help think they would try and chase for that. He said he wants to take my "fun money" away from me as I don't deserve it. I don't have any "fun money" (whatever that is!) I'd be happy for the judge to see the CCTV of what's happened, if it magically disappears somehow (oh the irony) the police officer had a camera on his jacket. So you know. Honestly, they behave like greedy scavengers for a bit of drama or gossip, whatever that'll bring them - some light in their life I suppose? Thought these grown adults would know how to create that for themselves honestly.

I have to say they certainly haven't left me with the impression that these security professionals are upstanding citizens who should be admired for walking the right walk, if you know what I mean.

Literally - does nobody ever get taken to court by RLP? Why are the judges throwing them out? What makes you say that they no longer initiate court action - won't they try if they think its worth their while? I would get billed for the legal costs, so in my mind, I think that they would try for the sake of having a go. What have they got to lose?

Comment

Find the RLP Oxford case and you will see why they don't try again. They got hammered by the judge. There was no loss for them to claim

Comment

Debenhams lost no stock and no stock was damaged.
          The security bods are paid whether or not they stop anyone.

So as Ostell says they have lost nothing so are entitled to nothing.
          Links to the Oxford case here: https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...gment-09-05-12

Comment

Thank you so much guys! I'm going to read up on this later.

Comment

Hi Sunnybee, have you got an update? The same thing has happened with me recently, I wasn’t in the best mind frame and just put the things in my bag. The security was very nasty, intimidating and used his presence to try and scare me. He said I’d need to pay for wasting his time (although, his job is to deal with people and all he was doing is standing on his phone.) Have you paid them RLP?! If not, have you had any follow up letters? I’m waiting on my first letter but I was told to expect it to Be anywhere from £80- £300. They got the goods back, I offered to pay there and then and the goods were in sellable condition.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X