• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

VAT charge on goods purchased outside EU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VAT charge on goods purchased outside EU

I have just purchased some socks from a company with a UK title in their name, eg '....sockshop.co.uk. The company has a UK postal address. I have noticed on their invoice it is a Danish company and have charged 25% VAT. Whilst this is not a big difference over the UK 20%, is this correct. As they have a UK address, should they not be charging UK VAT rates?
    Tags: None

From their Terms page.... unless you were just using Sockshop as an example ? Should just be 20%.

What's the actual breakdown on the invoice? numbers wise.

Our company registration number is 429464.

Our VAT number is GB 673 689 283. Registered Trade Mark 2428236.

(12) Our contact details

The full name of our company is Drew Brady & Co Limited. We are registered in England & Wales under registration number 429464. Sock Shop® Registered Trade Mark 2428236.

Our registered address is:
    Kearsley Mill,
    Stoneclough,
    Radcliffe,
    Manchester,
    Lancashire
    M26 1RH
    also

Please note, our website is a UK site and therefore value added tax is included in the price. However, in order to avoid the technical issue of the site being able to differentiate between clients who are in the EEC or outside, the way we compensate you for the VAT is by charging you less for the postage. If we did deduct the VAT, it would mean that we would have to charge more for the postage and in some cases our clients may be slightly better off or worse off but the difference will not be significant.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I wouldn't worry unnecessarily as when it comes to doing your VAT return you put this transaction into a different box. Essentially it is just a paper exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
        From their Terms page.... unless you were just using Sockshop as an example ? Should just be 20%.

What's the actual breakdown on the invoice? numbers wise.

also
        Hi. No I was not referring to you. It is another company with a name before 'sockshop'. They do not list a UK VAT number, but do list an address in London and a returns address in Poole, Dorset. The invoice lists the item, the cost without VAT and then 25%. I am presuming that because I have purchased from this company and they are in Denmark, I am paying their VAT rate. I just thought that goods from outside the EU came tax free and that UK VAT was added when they arrived in this country. I am a private buyer and just ordered two pairs of socks, so nothing to do with being a company involved in any bulk buying and VAT involvement.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X