• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Business Rates Debt : Bailiff to home because of the Business address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business Rates Debt : Bailiff to home because of the Business address

Hi there,
    I have a business rate due from my limited company, I lost all the money in business and don't have anything to be pay. i changed my limited company address to home address.in order to close the company. now i got a bailiff notice to make payment. . ( Now I have changed my company address to original address and informed them ) Can they come to the house and seize my private property Can any one please advice ,
    Tags: None

You are not going to like this but the Enforcement Agent has done nothing wrong and may still visit you at home. However he may only seize goods that belonged to your Ltd Co. The difficulty could be he may think your car may have belonged to the Co and would ask you to prove otherwise. You would need a proper receipt for it, able to prove you paid from a personal account, able to prove it is you and not your Co paying for tax & insurance. He has no right of entry to your home. Are you the sole director?

Comment

Yes. I am the sole director. I have called and updated the Bailiff company that this business address is changed. Will they still come....? I have read in one of the post here, I can get a certificate from a Notary public for STATUTORY DECLARATION of properties in case if he comes. I have a very old car and not in my name. ( I have no items belong to my company, ).,I read, the second time, he may come with locksmit and open the door, Kindly advice..

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
        You are not going to like this but the Enforcement Agent has done nothing wrong and may still visit you at home. However he may only seize goods that belonged to your Ltd Co. The difficulty could be he may think your car may have belonged to the Co and would ask you to prove otherwise. You would need a proper receipt for it, able to prove you paid from a personal account, able to prove it is you and not your Co paying for tax & insurance. He has no right of entry to your home. Are you the sole director?
        Thank you for your reply

Comment

Yes he can still attend, he is allowed to go to any address in England or Wales where he believes goods may be seized to satisfy the debt outstanding but only if they are the goods of the debtor. Save your time and money doing a Stat Dec, it's not that they are worthless but they can still seize goods if they think they are those of the debtor and it is then up to you as owner to prove they are yours. You car may be old but could still be targetted - best locked in a garage or moved onto someone elses drive.

Comment

Yes he can still attend, he is allowed to go to any address in England or Wales where he believes goods may be seized to satisfy the debt outstanding but only if they are the goods of the debtor. Save your time and money doing a Stat Dec, it's not that they are worthless but they can still seize goods if they think they are those of the debtor and it is then up to you as owner to prove they are yours. You car may be old but could still be targetted - best locked in a garage or moved onto someone elses drive.
            Thank you... What is Sat Dec,,,,

Comment

See your post 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam25 View Post

Thank you... What is Sat Dec,,,,
                Yes, I got it, \\\\\\\\ will the come second time with locksmith and get into the house and seize property, ,,?

Comment

Not for this he won't.

Comment

Not for this he won't.
                    Thank you very much for all your replies.. My company closure is suspended now. don't know why. I think i have to see a solicitor to declare insolvency....?

Please through me some light....

Comment

Thank you PLODDERTOM : I got my Statutory Declaration signed by a Notary Public (Spent £ 50 ) , As i told you earlier, i have changed my company address from my home to the business address where , i did business. and informed the Bailiff company. Do I have to send the Statuary Declaration to the Bailiff Company or shall I give it , if some one knocks my door.

Comment

I would keep it by the door but only produce it if they decide to Take Control of Goods. Remember you do not have to give them access to your home and allowing them access voluntarily would be a bad idea. You must also understand that the Enforcement Agent or his Company do not have to take any notice of your Stat Dec if they believe the goods are those of the Company, as said previously the onus is on you to prove ownership. Fortunately most household goods are exempt from seizure anyway. Just be careful and hopefully the account will be passed back to the Council but be aware they may give it to another Company to try and collect.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam25 View Post

Thank you very much for all your replies.. My company closure is suspended now. don't know why. I think i have to see a solicitor to declare insolvency....?

Please through me some light....
                          The council have a liability order against the company for the business rates and therefore may have filed an objection to your company's dissolution ( see https://www.gov.uk/object-to-a-limit...ing-struck-off ) - did you receive any documents from the council or magistrates court before the bailiff showed up? Have you spoken with the council since or seen the liability order ? ( is it in the ltd company name?)

Is your stat dec simply saying no company assets at your home address?
                          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post

The council have a liability order against the company for the business rates and therefore may have filed an objection to your company's dissolution ( see https://www.gov.uk/object-to-a-limit...ing-struck-off ) - did you receive any documents from the council or magistrates court before the bailiff showed up? Have you spoken with the council since or seen the liability order ? ( is it in the ltd company name?)

Is your stat dec simply saying no company assets at your home address?
                            I have got a " Notice of Enforcement" from Bristow & Sutor stating not paid money to council.

enforcement details : Liability order

The Bailiff has not showed up so far. They tried to reach me today through phone.

Not spoken with the council. Will it help in any way of stopping them...?

Yes . It is a limited company.

Is your stat dec simply saying no company assets at your home address. Yes.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X