• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can a loan be transferred from parent company to operating company without consent?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a loan be transferred from parent company to operating company without consent?

If you/I give a loan to a parent company can it be transferred to an operating company without your/my consent?
    Tags: None

Was there anything in the terms of the loan to prohibit this?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      Was there anything in the terms of the loan to prohibit this?
      No. The lender (my mum) was a life partner who transferred the money to her life partner's parent company to assist with cash flow for a short period. She has been told by her now ex-life partner that the money was lost when his subsidiary companies went into administration shortly afterwards.

Another question also, What happens to the assets of a parent company if a subsidiary company goes into administration?

Comment

but if the loan was to the parent company, it remains responsible for repayment. Tell this man that.

If the parent company is not in administration, its directors remain in control.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

If they have completed assignment of the loan from the parent to the subsidiary and provided Notice of Assignment from the parent company to the other party to the loan agreement, assuming there is no clause in the loan agreement preventing assignment without consent of both parties then the assignment to the subsidiary would be legal.

However, if no Notice of Assignment was sent to the other party to the loan agreement the parent company remains liable for it and the other party may enforce their rights of the agreement against the parent company.

If they wished to assign the loan agreement now they would have to create a new assignment agreement and send a Notice of Assignment based on it at the time of signing. A debt cannot be assigned to a company already in administration because no administrator would further burden a company with additional debt.

Their aim is to wind the company up by gaining as much as they can for the creditors or to find another party who can take on the business then service the debts, not to worsen the situation.
          COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Ignore FATELOG. They’re a spammer and have been reported.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X