• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Responsibility/liability as sole director

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Responsibility/liability as sole director

Hi - I have just resigned from my limited company (selling business software) of which I was a joint owner to focus on another venture. I have agreed with the one remaining director that I will continue to help out during his periods of leave to enable him to keep the company running, but he is asking that I remain as a director in order to maintain the "optics" and in case existing customers of our software notice that I have resigned and get cold feet about their continued use of the system. I absolutely do not want to remain a director, but the only reason I can come up with is that psychologically I need to "move on". His response to my argument that if something happened to him then I would end up having to shoulder the entire responsibility of winding the company down was that I would simply have to resign and all the responsibility would shift to the remaining shareholders/trustees. My question is simply is this a fact? And could there not be other complications eg an angry customer left with a dead-end, unsupported software system wanting to take matters further (in which case presumably I couldn't just evade responsibility by simply resigning)? Is there any other ammunition you could provide with me with?! Many thanks
    Tags: None

You can resign as director, but not as share owner

Comment

What is your percentage shareholding?

Do you have a shareholders agreement?
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you for the replies. He has already agreed to purchase my 46% shareholding so I will no longer be a shareholder.

We did have a shareholders agreement but it had an expiry date associated with it which has now passed.

Comment

If your business partner buys your shares, that would appear to be that. Whether you remain a director will be a matter for you and not the law.

I cannot see the point of a shareholders agreement having an expiry date while the parties remain members of the same company.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thanks again. Yes I realise that I am not legally obliged to remain a director, but my original question is what justification can I give him to resign my directorship apart from I need to "move on". He isn't taking no for an answer and the entire share purchase is being held up as a result, funds which I am really in need of!

Comment

This remains a matter for you. If you want to resign, just do it.

EDITED TO ADD>>

But your business partner may make it a term of the share purchase that you are to remain a director for a specified period of time.
              Last edited by atticus; 23rd August 2022, 12:15:PM.

Comment

It is a negotiation.

Comment

Yes so essentially I haven't got a leg to stand on as there are clearly no legally sound reasons to justify refusing the position!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X